Chapter 35

Don woke up with the light streaming through the curtains in the bedroom he shared with his wife at her parents vacation home in Connecticut. He noticed that Meryl was no longer snuggled up to his side and turned over to see where she was, the sight in front of him was heart warming at first and then worried him. Meryl was lying in bed with Henry in between her and Don and she was softly stroking his head and face. When Don looked closer he saw that slow silent tears were escaping her eyes. "Meryl, sweetheart, is Henry okay?" He asked bringing her out of her thoughts.

"Oh, hi, baby. Yeah, he's fine." She said wiping her tears.

"Then what are the tears for, babe?" He asked as he bent down to kiss baby Henry.

"I am just so happy Don. I heard Henry beginning to fuss so I brought him to bed with us and he has just laid here for the longest time looking up at me with those beautiful eyes, your eyes." She smiled looking up at him.

"So, happy tears?" He asked, not quite following.

"Yes and no. I started thinking about how much life has changed for me in the past two years. From losing John to finding you to having Henry. I don't know, it made me think of John." She said.

"Oh." Don's heart dropped. He really tried not to be jealous but he could feel it bubbling up inside of him. "I see; well, I'm gonna go get dressed."

"No, Don, no not like that. Shit, this isn't coming out right. It made me think of his death and how it taught me to appreciate each and every second. I do, Don, I do. I love every minute I spend with you and Henry, I can't get enough of either of you. Sometimes I wish we could move out here to Connecticut and you can have a studio and we would be away from the prying eyes. Thinking back on John's death reminded me, not that I necessarily needed reminding, but it reminded me that all I want is you and Henry, that's all I need. His death taught me to live in the moment and that's what I want to do. My God, I don't know where I'd be, who I'd be, if I hadn't met you or if we hadn't had Henry." She choked.

"I'm sorry I was jealous there for a second. I know John will always be with you, and you shouldn't get over his death, it will always be with you, it should. I am just the luckiest son of a bitch in the world because you decided to share your life me. You and Henry bring me more happiness than I ever would have imagined. I was thinking about Christmases at my house growing up and they were only filled with a fraction of the love that is felt in this house. I want Henry to experience this kind of Christmas every year. I want you both to always be surrounded by love." He said tucking her hair behind her ear.

"We are, baby, we are. You always make sure of that. I'm sorry if I upset you." She said.

"You didn't, quite the opposite. So, about this wish of yours-a house in Connecticut." He began.

"Yeah?" She asked.

"I've been thinking, maybe we could buy a getaway for the three of us. Maybe not Connecticut, but upstate New York. That way we could go whenever we wanted. I could have a studio, Henry could have a yard. What do you think? Want to go into severe debt with me?" He laughed.

"You are the only man I want to go into debt with." She laughed as he bent down and placed a long and deep kiss on her lips.

"I want to make all your wishes come true, just as you've made mine." He smiled.

"You already have." She leaned up to give him another kiss as Henry began to cry. "Sorry, duty calls." She pouted.

"It's okay. I will hop in the shower." He smiled as he went to the shower with a huge grin on his face.

***

Don came back into the room in sweats as Meryl was changing Henry's diaper and put an outfit on him that said Baby's First Christmas.