Chapter 27

It was Sunday morning, September 30th, 1979. Don and Meryl's one year anniversary. Don rolled over and smiled at the sight of his beautiful pregnant wife asleep on her side. As always, they had begun the night cuddled with one another, but Meryl couldn't get comfortable and ended up sleeping on her side. Don moved her hair to the side and placed the softest of kisses on her lips so as not to wake her up. He quietly got out of bed, placed a red rose on his pillow for her that he sneaked out the previous night and bought, and went to prepare a breakfast fit for a queen.

***

The sunlight shining through the curtains woke Meryl up. She was actually feeling good. She woke up with a huge smile on her face when she realized what day it was, her anniversary. She slowly turned over and reached for Don, but instead of finding his warm, cuddly body, she found a cold empty space. Her frown quickly disappeared when she found a single red rose on his pillow. She sat up against the pillows and brought the rose to her nose and inhaled it's beautiful scent. Part of her wished she wasn't pregnant, or at least this pregnant, on their anniversary. She and Don had talked about going to Maine where they first declared their love for one another, then they talked about going to Connecticut where they spent their wedding weekend; but neither of those places were a possibility, so Don talked her into letting him plan their night, she couldn't wait. She was brought out of her thoughts when the bedroom door opened and the love of her life walked in wearing only his pajama pants, carrying a tray of food.

"Happy Anniversary, Mrs. Gummer." He smiled.

"Happy Anniversary, Mr. Gummer. What's all this?" She smiled as he placed the tray at the foot of the bed.

"Breakfast for my love." He said slipping into bed beside her and gently kissing her lips. "How do you feel this morning?" He asked when they broke away.

"Better than I have felt in weeks." She smiled.

Don looked at her and she did look rested and healthy. Her cheeks had a healthy glow and her eyes were sparkling. "Did you let your Mommy get some sleep?" He asked her belly as he laughed when he felt their baby start to kick.

"The baby sure likes the sound of your voice." She giggled.

"What about it's mama?" He smirked.

"I like the sound of your voice too, it makes...me...hot." She whispered as she captured his lips in hers.

Don regretfully pulled away. "Tonight." He whispered placing one last kiss on her lips. "So, breakfast or gifts?" He asked.

"Gifts." She smiled as Don laughed.

"No breakfast? That's a first." He laughed.

"I want us to exchange gifts first." She said stroking his cheek. "I want to give you yours first." She smiled as she reached into her bedside table and handed him a box.

He opened it and found a journal. "A journal?" He asked.

"Well, the traditional first anniversary gift is paper, but open it." She said.

Inside, on the front cover was a picture of the two of them from their wedding rehearsal dinner. They were both dressed in denim shirts and jeans. Her hair was pulled up at the sides. Their arms were wrapped around each others waists and they had the biggest smiles on their face. Under the picture she had written: Love is...Destiny, To feel, To touch, To seek, To feel safe, To share, To give, To grow old together, To have a home...Love is You and Me.

"Meryl, this is beautiful." He choked.

"There's alot more, babe." She said as she flipped the pages.