Chapter 21

Don was extremely quiet on the flight to Indianapolis, Meryl knew he would be. He was extremely close to his grandfather, and she knew how much he looked up to him. His Grandpa Walker was his mother's father, and treated Don with love and respect, something Don never received from his father. When they were in Indianapolis back in December Meryl got to spend some time getting to know Grandpa Walker and immediately fell in love with him, after meeting him she knew exactly who Don took after. Grandpa Walker immediately welcomed her to the family. They had just talked to him the day before when he called to congratulate them on the baby, both Don and Meryl were sad that their baby would never know Don's Grandfather. Meryl knew that Don was not only upset at losing this person who meant so much to him, but he was also nervous about seeing his father. His father did not approve of his relationship with his Grandpa Walker, Meryl figured it was because Don's grandfather disapproved of how James treated Don and Don's mother, Jane. Meryl wasn't thrilled about seeing James either. Every time Don was around his father, Don would turn into someone who doubted himself not only as a person, an artist and husband, but now as a father.

***

Meryl walked into the bedroom after getting ready for bed in the bathroom and saw Don laying in bed staring out into space. "Don." She said walking into the room and didn't get a response. "Baby, are you okay?" She asked as she crawled into bed next to him and stroked his cheek.

"Oh, hey." He said turning sad eyes towards her. "I didn't hear you come in. How are you? I'm sorry it's so late." He said.

"Don, I'm fine, don't worry about me. How are you?" She asked.

"Fine. Tired. Sad." He said as he turned out the light and she cuddled up to his side.

"Baby, you know you can talk to me about anything, right?" She asked as she turned her head to look up at him through the dark room.

"I know, babe, I know." He said placing a kiss on her lips.

She laid her head on his chest as he stroked her hair.

"It's funny, isn't it?" He asked after several minutes of silence.

"What is, sweetheart?" She asked rubbing his arm that was holding her.

"Just this morning we were planning for our baby, a new life, and now we are here getting ready to bury my grandfather." He said.

"I know, it isn't right. I was hoping he could meet our baby." She said.

"Me too, babe, me too. It just doesn't seem fair. He is the reason I am who I am, and he won't be here to hold our baby." Don choked.

"I hate it too, baby. He isn't completely the reason you are the man you are. You are the reason you are who you are. The man I love and want to raise a family with." She said kissing his chest.

"Thank you for coming with me. Regardless of me wanting to protect you, I would be miserable here without you." He said tightening his hold on her.

"I would be miserable in New York without you. This is where I want to be; with you, by your side." She said leaning up to kiss his cheek.

"I don't want you alone around my father." He finally said, she had been waiting for it.

"Don, don't worry about me, I'll be fine." She said.

"No, Meryl, this isn't up for debate. Not after what he did at our wedding reception. I don't want you alone with him. Promise me." He said as he tilted her chin up so he could look at her.

"I promise you. I don't want you alone with him either, not after what he did on Christmas. How about I just don't leave your side?" She asked making him laugh, at last.