Chapter 11

March quickly came and Meryl and Don were busy trying to tie up their business affairs for a week together in the Alps. Meryl hadn't felt right all week, she tried to hide it from Don, but it wasn't working. She tried to convince him that she was just tired and would be fine. She couldn't get over how tired she was. It was like she couldn't get enough sleep. She and Don hadn't even had sex for a week, the longest they had gone in their marriage. She felt bad that she wasn't up for it, but Don said he was more concerned about her health than sex. She just hoped she would be better by the time they went to the Alps, she just couldn't figure out what it was.

***

It was Friday night, the night before Don and Meryl were leaving for their trip. Meryl had been busy all day shopping and packing and was exhausted. She went to get ready for date night, but fell asleep on the bed in her robe after she showered. She didn't even realize she had fallen asleep until she felt Don's hand on her stomach and his lips on hers. "Wake up, baby." He said.

Meryl slowly woke up and smiled. He could tell immediately that she wasn't feeling well. "Hey, did I fall asleep?" 

"Yeah, when I got home you were asleep, so I let you sleep for awhile. I ordered dinner and it's here. Do you feel like eating?" He asked.

"Don, date night! I can be ready in 10 minutes." She said getting up fast and then becoming woozy by her fast movements.

"Whoa." He said catching her. "Sit down." He said helping her sit down. "We aren't going, and I'm not sure we should go to the Alps tomorrow." He said.

"What? YES, we are." She said.

"Babe, you haven't been feeling well for over a week. I'm worried about you." Don said.

"Don, it's just exhaustion. Going on this vacation will be the best thing for me." She assured him.

"I don't know, we'll be in a strange country, away from your doctor. What if you get worse?" He asked.

Meryl was touched by his concern. "They have doctors over there. I'm fine, okay?"

"Okay." He smiled, not so sure, but thinking the rest and relaxation was what she needed.

"Good, now let me get ready and we will go for date night." She said.

"No, we are staying in. We can have date night in. Besides, we will have a week of date nights. You need to rest before our long day of travel." He said.

"Don, date night is so important. I don't want us to get out of the habit of going." She said.

"We won't, it's one week. You aren't feeling well. There is no rule that says we can't have date night in, is there?" He asked.

"No, I guess there isn't." She smiled stroking his cheek.

"Good. Now get on your pj's, I will put on my sweats and we will have date night in." He said kissing her lips as they put on the most casual date night clothes they had ever worn.

***

Later that night, Meryl and Don were snuggled on the couch together in their sweats watching a movie and eating dinner.

"I kind of like date night in." She commented lying her head on his shoulders.

"I do too. It's nice just to lay around with you and eat dinner and watch television." He said.

"I think I needed this. I don't know why I have been so exhausted." She commented.

"Well, you have been working like crazy. I think this vacation has come at the best possible time." He said.