Chapter 20

The next morning Don and Meryl were having breakfast when he proposed an idea. "Babe?" He asked causing her to put down The New York Times.

"Yeah." She replied.

"So, I had an idea. Remember when you said I could paint the nursery?" He asked.

"Yeah, I wanted you to paint a mural for the room." She replied.

"I have an idea and I want to surprise you. Since we cleared the room out before we went to Italy, it is a blank canvas. I was inspired and want to get started as soon as possible. So, I was thinking you could go shopping, order the furniture we picked out, and other blankets and stuff, while I paint today. Then tonight we will go out for date night so hopefully the fumes will be gone by the time we get home and it won't bother you." He smiled.

Meryl just sat there and smiled; his excitement melting her heart. When she first heard that she was pregnant she was worried at how Don would react. They talked about having children back when they were dating, but didn't know how he would feel about having a baby so early in their marriage. Don had been nothing but sweet, caring, loving, and helpful. They would constantly talk about decorating, plans for the baby, and how they would take care of the baby once Meryl returned to work after the baby was born. There was no doubt in Meryl's mind that he would be an amazing father, and would be with her every step of the way.

"Meryl? What do you think?" He asked when she still hadn't said anything.

Meryl leaned over and placed a sweet and loving kiss on his lips. "I love it and I love you. So, I will go and order the furniture and buy a few more things. I don't want to buy too much since the girls are having a shower for me here in the city, and then Mom is planning the family one in Jersey." She pointed out.

"Whatever you think, babe. You know more about all of that than I do." He laughed.

"Well, since I am shopping can you give me a hint on what you are planning for the baby's room? You know, so I can buy sheets and curtains. That kind of stuff." She said.

"Let's worry about all that later." He said.

"Okay, you're the artist." She laughed.

"Okay, well, then it's a plan. It isn't going to be anything extravagant or great." He said.

"Of course it will be great, because it will be done by Donald Gummer a world renowned artist. Just think, our baby's nursery is going to be a Donald James Gummer original." She gushed making Don laugh.

"You sure are a sweet talker there Mrs. Gummer." He said kissing her hand.

"I think it is a wonderful gift you are giving me and the baby, but I better get out of here if you think you are going to finish today." She laughed.

"I will...the supplies are in the storage closet." He winked making her laugh as he stood up.

"Well, then get to work. I will see you soon. I love you." She smiled placing a tender kiss on his lips.

"I love you too baby. Be careful and be easy on our credit cards." He said making her laugh as she headed out to buy things for their baby.

***

As soon as Meryl left Don quickly did the dishes and then got to work. First he painted the walls a light tan. Meryl didn't know it, but he had this design in his mind for weeks and weeks. He started designing when he was at the studio and had already worked on wood pieces for the wall. As the paint was drying, Don painted the wood pieces. As soon as the wall was dry, he painted a brown stripe along the middle of the wall, the chair rail. While the stripe was drying he hung the wall pieces on the wall. Each piece was a square. One piece had a green trim, with a white background, and a brown circle. The next piece had blue trim, with a white background, and a green diamond. The next piece had brown trim with a green circle and a white background. The last piece had a green trim with a blue diamond and white background. Don had made two of each piece and hung them around the room. He went into the store room and got a brown rug with blue trim and put it on the floor. He then hung up a valance and curtains on the window. The valance was decorated with the same colors and squares as the wood pieces. He then hung brown and white curtains. It had taken him all day, but he was finally done. After he cleaned up, he fixed himself a drink and sat in the nursery looking at his work, proud of what he had created. It wasn't some fancy mural like he was afraid Meryl had in her mind, but he hoped she liked it. He had been sketching ideas since they had found out she was pregnant, and just didn't know what to do. He came up with this idea late one night when she was working, and thought the colors would work whether it was a boy or girl. He prayed she liked it. He then added one last final touch: the rocking chair Meryl's mother had nursed and rocked her in. One day while she was filming, Don went out to Jersey and got it from her parents. Her mother had made cushions that matched Don's design idea. He couldn't believe he was able to keep all of this a secret from her, and that she didn't find everything in the storage unit on their balcony. He impatiently waited for her to come home so he could show it to her.