Chapter 14

It was May 1979 and it was life as usual for Meryl and Don in New York. Meryl was preparing for 3 movies to come out in the next 6 months, she was 3 months pregnant, and Don was busy as always working on sculptures and painting. Don had begun to relax in regards to Meryl's pregnancy and they were both looking forward to the arrival of baby Gummer. Don and Meryl started talking about how to transform her old room into the nursery. As Meryl was beginning to show they were ready to tell their family and friends. Meryl, and the baby, were progressing just fine, so it was time to share the good news!

***

Meryl and Don were getting ready for their wedding reception. They had decided on a very small wedding at her parents' house on Mason's Island in Connecticut 8 months previous. They wanted to celebrate with all of their family and friends later so they decided to throw a small reception at his studio in NYC. They were in their bedroom in the loft they shared getting ready. Both of them were a little nervous. Don was nervous about seeing his father who not only disapproved of his marriage, but disapproved of him and his life as a whole and made no secret about it. He was also incredibly rude to Meryl, and made no secret that he didn't care for her profession, or hers and Don's lives. Meryl was nervous about what they were going to tell everyone, that after only 8 months of marriage she and Don were expecting a baby in November. They had only just found out in Switzerland 2 months earlier, and Don was so excited that he couldn't wait to tell everyone.

Meryl came out of the bathroom from getting ready in a short, low cut, black dress with an empire waist, in order to hid her baby bump. Her hair was pulled up at the sides and hung in loose curls. She smiled when she saw Don standing there in black pants and a crisp white shirt. She sauntered over to him. "You are so gorgeous." 

He looked up and saw his vision of a wife, SHE was gorgeous. Don pulled her by the waist up against him. "YOU are the gorgeous one." He said bending down to kiss her neck.

Meryl moaned and threw her head back to give him better access. "Babe, we have to go soon. We can't." She moaned when she remembered where they were going.

"Okay, but for the record, I would much rather stay here and make love to my beautiful pregnant wife." He said with a kiss to her lips while he placed his left hand on her belly.

"Hun, it will be fine. Just ignore and stay away from your dad. Don't let him ruin this." She smiled running her fingers through his hair.

"You're right." He smiled. "We have way too much to celebrate." 

"But, if he is an ass towards you don't expect me to keep my mouth shut." She winked.

"Just don't let him ruin our day." Don reminded her.

"Are you sure you want to tell everyone so soon?" She asked nervously as she sat on the bed to put on her shoes.

"Yeah, I thought we agreed on it." He said sitting down next to her.

"I know, I mean I am just worried. What if something happens?" She asked.

"Baby, we went to the doctor last week and everything is fine. Besides, we decided we would wait until you were through the first trimester." He reminded her placing his hand on her stomach.

"I know. I am also afraid that people will think that is why we got married; you know, a shotgun wedding." She admitted.

"Let them, I don't care what they think. All that matters is you, me, and this life we created. Who cares if they think that? This love we have is so amazing, so wonderful, that it created a miracle. It is this love we are celebrating today. What better time to tell them about our little miracle?" He asked making her tear up.