Chapter 15

Several hours later, Don woke up with Meryl snuggled up close to him. Her hand was lying on his chest and he picked it up noticing the black, blue, and purple bruises on her wrists. He was sick, it looked like she was a battered woman or something. He knew it was only her wrists, but that wasn't the point. Another man had inflicted harm on his wife, what made it worse is that it was his father. It was bad enough when Dustin Hoffman slapped her, but this was different. His father lunged at her, and then when she tried to slap him he grabbed her wrists so hard that it caused her to cry out. He would never forget that cry, it shook him to the bones. They weren't tears of sadness, or hormones, they were tears of physical pain. He also felt responsible, he never should have let his father around her when they were upset. He should have kicked his father out as soon as he came outside and saw the situation. He felt that he should have ushered her inside and protected her. He was extremely upset, but he didn't know who he was more upset with-himself or his father. Don lifted her wrist to his mouth and kissed them, gently, over and over.

Meryl woke up and felt his lips on her wrists. She thought he was being romantic, until he saw the look on his face. He was clearly upset. "Don?" She asked, sleepily.

"I'm sorry I woke you, baby. Go back to sleep." He said.

"What's wrong? You look upset." She commented.

"I can't...I can't." He choked.

"You can't what, baby?" She asked getting upset that he was so upset.

"How am I supposed to take care of a baby, when I can't even protect my wife from my own father? Maybe my father is right, I don't have what it takes to be a husband you deserve, or a father the baby deserves." He choked.

Meryl saw the anguish on his face and lost it. She couldn't stand that he was feeling what he was. He was the most amazing man in the world and he was filled with such doubt because of his father, it was more than she could take. When she was about to say something he gave her a miserable look and then left the room. She had never felt more alone in that moment. She couldn't believe Don would leave the room when she was so upset. Did he believe the crap his father spewed at Christmas and the day before thinking he wasn't enough for her? The pain was almost more than she could take. She had to go find him.

***

Don was standing in the hallway outside the door trying to compose himself. He had never felt like more of a failure, not only had he failed to protect his wife, he also caused her to be so upset. He was still standing there when Meryl wrapped her arms around him and rested her cheek on his back. He could feel the product of their love, their baby, pressed up against him.

"How can you say you are not enough?" She asked crying. "Everyday you give our lives so much love and purpose. I truly don't know where I would be without you. I don't know how such a selfish, small minded person, can take so much from such an amazing, faithful, and strong man. Do you not know who you are? You are Donald James Gummer, my heart, my soulmate. You are so much more than I ever imagined, so much more than I ever deserved." She said crying.

Don stood there for a moment and took in everything she said. His father didn't matter. Art critics didn't matter. All that mattered in that moment was the love from her, and what they were together. He was feeling so much love from her it was overwhelming. He turned around and took in the sight of his beautiful, pregnant wife. He wiped her tears and bent down to kiss the baby. When he leaned back up he captured her lips in his with a passionate kiss that conveyed everything he felt for her. He pulled back and looked at her.

"Baby, I am so sor-" He was cut off by her lips on his. It was a demanding kiss. A kiss filled with tension and heartbreak. Her heart was breaking over his anguish and his heart was breaking over what his father did to his wife. Meryl wanted to show Don how much she needed him and how much she loved him. Don just needed to feel her love. She pushed him up against the wall and ripped his boxers from his body. "Baby?" He asked when they finally broke for air.