Chapter 22

We need to have a little chat, Donald." James said as Meryl and Don stood there hand in hand.

"Yeah, we sure as hell do." Don said as Meryl squeezed his hand trying to get him to remain calm.

"Maybe Meryl better go inside." James said.

"No, what you have to say to me you can say in front of her, she's my wife. You will only speak to her with respect and you will not place your fucking hands on her." Don said as Meryl wrapped her arm around his waist to give him emotional support.

"Listen, Don, about what you walked in on." James began

"I didn't walk in on that. I walked in on you man-handling my wife and her visibly shaking. Which will NEVER happen again. I was too scared to stand up to you before, but after the wedding reception and this, I am done. My wife and our child are more important to me than anything. You hurt her again and I will slap a harassment suit on you." Don said.

"Okay, about what Meryl walked in on, you can't tell your mother." James begged.

Don just stood there disgusted. He hated that Meryl had to be involved in this and he hated what his father had done. "You think she doesn't know you fuck around? I have always suspected, but I never thought you would fuck around with my ex-wife the morning after grandpa died." Don said disgusted.

"Even if she does suspect, she can't know about Peggy. Come on, Don, she is going through enough, do you really want to make this harder on her?" James asked, trying to place blame on his son.

Meryl couldn't believe it, he was putting all of this on Don. "No, you can't put this all on me. You are the one who created this mess, not me. I can't believe it. All these years you have been putting me down and saying I'm not good enough. You hurt me and my wife over and over. You have acted all self-righteous, saying I wasn't a true man, while you physically and emotionally abused me. You have hurt my wife physically. Hell, you made her so upset she literally got sick. A real man doesn't treat his family or women like that. A true man stays faithful to his wife and loves his children, building them up, not tearing them down, like you have done to me my whole fucking life." Don reamed, he was finally letting it all out.

"Are you done yet?"James said. He wanted to push back, but he didn't want to give Don any fuel to tell his mother.

"Am I done? Fuck no! It makes me sick that not only were you fucking someone in Mom's kitchen the morning after Grandpa died, but that person used to call you Dad. I swear if you ever look at Meryl or touch her in that way I will fucking kill you, you disgust me." Don said.

"That would NEVER EVER happen." Meryl said wrapping her arm tighter around his waist as he looked into her eyes and smiled.

"No, it wouldn't, because we don't believe in infidelity. Come on, aren't you gonna fight back?" Don yelled, he was gearing up for a big fight. He had kept all of this inside for way too long.

"What do you want me to say, Donald, you caught me, you finally have the upper hand. I am sure you're happy." James said.

"Happy? You think I like having the proof? You think I like the fact that I know something that could tear my mother apart?  You think I like the fact that because you couldn't keep it in your pants my wife got physically sick? I like the fact that you man handled her? Why, Dad? Why did you cheat on Mom?" Don asked as he held on to Meryl tighter. As much as he hated that she was witnessing this, he was glad he wasn't going through this alone.

"She paid attention to me, made me feel good. Come on, Don, I have been married a long time, it felt good. You will understand that someday." James said.