Chapter 12

Meryl and Don sat there in shock...PREGNANT! This was NOT planned. Of course they wanted children; Meryl had always dreamed of having children and wanted children with Don more than anything, but she was nervous about how he was feeling. She knew he wanted children with her as much as she did, but didn't know how he would feel about it being so soon. They thought in a couple years they would have children, but not 6 months after being married. She looked over at him and couldn't read his expression. "Pregnant?" She finally spoke.

"Yes, Mrs. Gummer. I take it this wasn't planned?" The doctor chuckled.

"Not yet." Don spoke as he held her hand tightly. She was at least grateful he was still holding her hand.

"I take the pill religiously, I never miss one." She said.

"Well, occasionally this does happen when someone is on the pill." The doctor explained. "I will give you some time alone, congratulations." The doctor smiled.

"Hey, Doc?" Don began. "We have been intimate recently, well could, that, I mean um, does that hurt my wife or our baby?" 

Meryl's heart leaped at his worry and concern. 'Could he be any cuter?' She asked herself as she held tighter onto his hand. His first concern as always was her and now their baby. Tears came to her eyes when he said "our baby." She just hoped he really was excited.

"It is perfectly safe, actually quite encouraged during pregnancy. Your wife's body will change, so you both just need to be aware and sensitive to that. Again, congratulations." The doctor said leaving the room.

"Don, I know this is my fault, I know we weren't planning on this-" She began until he cupped her face in his hands and kissed her passionately. When he broke away he leaned his forehead against hers.

"A baby!" He exclaimed with tears in his eyes.

"You're happy? You're not upset?" She asked.

"Meryl, of course not. This isn't anyone's fault, it's a baby, our baby, a life created from the love we have for one another. You aren't alone in this, I could have easily been using condoms. None of that matters, WE'RE HAVING A BABY HE EXCLAIMED." Hugging her tightly.

"We' re having a baby!" She cried happy tears.

"Are you happy?" He asked pulling away.

"Am I happy?" She asked laughing. "Don, there is nothing in this world I want more than to carry your child. The fact that our love is so overwhelming and powerful that we created this life inside of me is just so amazing. I mean I know we weren't planning on this, but I can't wait. I finish wrapping Kramer this summer and have movies coming out, but I haven't signed up for anything else yet. I can take a break after the baby is born, and just enjoy some time with you and little Gummer." She smiled.

"God." He said stroking her cheek just in awe of her. "Do you have ANY idea ANY clue how happy you have made me. You have given me a life that people only dream of." 

"You have made me just as happy. I can't wait to hold our baby." She smiled. "I hope it looks like you."

"Poor thing, if that happens, hopefully it will look like you." He smiled. "I love you so much, Meryl." He said.

"I love you too, baby." She said as she leaned her face forward to kiss him. They were interrupted by a knock at the door and the doctor came in.

"I'm sorry for interrupting." The doctor said.

"No, you're fine." Meryl smiled as Don tightly held her hand.

"Here are some pre-natal vitamins, be sure to take these everyday." He said as Don took them from him and looked at the bottle making Meryl chuckle. "Also, be sure to make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you get home."