Chapter 29

About two hours after baby Henry Wolfe Gummer was born, the Gummer family was laying in Meryl's hospital bed together. Meryl had successfully nursed Henry for the first time, and he was now laying on her chest, while Don laid beside her and had his right arm wrapped around her while she laid her head on his shoulder. Everything seemed perfect.

"I could watch you two all day. I think Grandpa Walker was right, when you stare into the face of your baby, it is like seeing the face of God." Don said in awe.

"Your Grandpa is here with us, babe." Meryl smiled. "He is absolutely perfect, Don. His head is perfectly round, he is the perfect shade. He looks so much like you, gorgeous." She said watching their baby.

"Well, I think you're a little biased about me. I agree, he is perfect. Just like his mother." Don said kissing her head.

"Did you talk to Mom and Dad?" She asked.

"Yeah, they were going to give us a little bit before coming up. They were of course beaming." He laughed.

"What did Dad think of the name?" She asked.

"He was moved, I told him we wanted to name him after strong men." Don said stroking Henry's head.

"That was all, you, babe. I would have been happy naming him after you. You are one of the strongest men I know." She said.

"This just seemed perfect. He thanked me for marrying you and loving you. His words meant the world to me." He choked.

"My Dad, and Mom, adore you. Not as much as I do. There isn't anyone in this world that could possibly adore you as much as I do. I don't know where I would be without you." She said.

"That's not anything you have to worry about, either of you." He said kissing her head and then Henry's. "I also called Mom. She and Dad will be here this afternoon and then flying back tonight." Don said.

Meryl could tell the change in the tone of his voice. "Baby, this is the happiest day of our lives. Don't let him take that away from you." She said kissing his neck.

"I won't, I promise." He said kissing her head. "Can I get you anything? Do you need anything?" He asked.

"No, everything I want and need is in this bed with me." She sighed happily. "Do you want to hold him?" Meryl offered.

"No, you two look too perfect together." He said, hopefully it sounded good to her and she didn't push him to hold the baby; he was still terrified he would break him.

"He does look pretty cozy." She smiled when there was a knock on the door and her parents entered as Don started to get up.

"You stay right there." Mary said to Don as she walked to Meryl's side and placed a kiss on her head. "Hey, sweetheart."

"Hi, Mom. Here he is." Meryl smiled.

"Ooohhh...can I hold him?" Mary asked.

"Of course. You know more of what you're doing than I do." Meryl laughed.

"You're doing great, baby. He already nursed." Don said proudly of his wife and son.

"Oh my. He is just perfect. He looks just like you, Don." Mary said making Don and Meryl laugh.

"I told you." She smiled as she snuggled up closer to Don's side.

"There he is, Henry the 4th." Harry smiled proudly as he ran his hand over the baby's head.

"Yeah, what do you think, Pops?" Meryl laughed. "It was all Don's idea."

"I'm honored." Harry beamed.