Chapter 23

Meryl and Don spent the rest of the day with his family. His Dad had stayed in his study most of the day and when he was around he left Meryl and Don alone. Don was surprised at how supportive his father was to his wife, he figured it was because he was afraid Don and Meryl would tell Jane what happened. Meryl woke up feeling better and was able to try to push out those images from her mind and talk to her mother-in-law. She also enjoyed getting to know Don's aunts. He was right they were constantly feeling her stomach, which was something Meryl was trying to get used to, and asked her a million questions especially about her costars in her movies. While Meryl bonded with the Walker women, Don and his brothers and cousins hung out and discussed the service, making sure it was everything their grandfather would have wanted.

***

Later that night back in the hotel, Meryl was laying in bed flipping through the channels on TV when Don came in after getting ready for bed and slipped into bed beside her. "How are you feeling?" He asked as she turned off the television.

"I'm fine, don't worry so much about me, it's my turn to worry about and take care of you." She said.

"Well, it has been a stressful and long day, neither of which are good for you or the baby." He pointed out.

"I'm fine, babe, you make sure of that." She said as she placed a slow and loving kiss on his lips. "How are you?" She asked as she laid her head on his chest.

"I'm okay, ready for this whole nightmare to be over. Can we talk about what happened today?" He asked, hopefully.

"Don Man, you know the gist of it, the rest will just upset you." She said.

"It is not fair that you are carrying the burden of what you saw and what happened. I want to know, please." He said stroking her hair.

Meryl didn't want to tell him, but she knew he would only worry more about her and what happened if she didn't tell him everything. She didn't want him to think that she was keeping anything from him, so she took a deep breath and began. "Okay, I don't want to keep anything from you." She began.

"Don't keep anything out, I want to know everything." He said.

"Okay, so I walked in and I saw her sitting on the counter naked and they were obviously having sex. For a moment I imagined it was you." She said.

"WHAT? I would NEVER!" He exclaimed.

"No, I know baby, not now, but back when you were married. Then I snapped out of it and knew it was your father, not you. You would never cheat on me, I know that." She said as she kissed his cheek and they turned on their sides to face each other.

"Good, because I never would." He said kissing her lips. "What then?"

"Peggy saw me and pushed your Dad back and he turned around with his zipper open asking me what the fuck I was doing there." Meryl said.

Don stared into her eyes and couldn't believe she had been through all this. It was bad enough that she walked in on his father having sex, but worse when it was his ex-wife. "Fuck, I'm sorry, he's sick. Did he cover himself up?" Don asked disgusted.

"Yeah, babe, he did. He didn't try anything like that with me, I promise." She said stroking his cheek and he just nodded. "I just lost it and called her a fucking whore."

"That's my girl." He winked.

"Then your dad raise his hand to hit me. When he didn't follow through with it I asked him why, I told him you weren't there to stop him." She said, she knew he would flip out.

"Shit Meryl, he could have really hurt you." He choked.

"He's a coward, he wouldn't hurt a pregnant woman. I was pissed at what I knew this would do to you. I wasn't thinking." She said.