Chapter 32

It was the first of December and Meryl and Don were settling into a nice routine with baby Henry. Since Don had moved his studio into the apartment, Meryl would take care of Henry while Don worked, and he would take breaks every so often to take care of the baby so she could have some time to herself. Meryl and Don shared an office, so while Henry was sleeping and he was working she would go through the piles of scripts. A few of them had caught her eye, but she wasn't ready to think about work just yet. She and Don would cook dinner together and put the baby to sleep together. He was the perfect partner, sharing in household chores 100% he was by every definition her partner and co-parent.

***

It was a Saturday and Meryl was sitting on the sofa feeding baby Henry when Don came in from getting the mail downstairs. A huge smile swept across his face as he watched her. "What is that smile for?" She asked.

He knelt down in front of her placing his hands on her knees. "I love watching you nurse our son, a product of our love. Ever since I held him right after he came out of your body I have never felt closer to you."

"How did I get so lucky?" She asked.

"I brainwashed you?" He asked teasingly. "You have a letter. Must not be fan mail since it was sent here, but it is addressed to Meryl Streep." He said handing her the envelope while she gave him Henry when he was finished.

"That's weird. Anyone who would send me a personal letter knows that I go by Gummer personally, and not Streep." She pointed out.

"Maybe it's someone who doesn't know you got married." Don pointed out.

"Well, then they shouldn't send anything." She quipped making him laugh. Meryl started shaking as she read the letter:

Dear Bitch,

So, you finally fooled a many into marrying you. Does he know what a slut you are? What a bitch you are? I am sure by now he has learned to give you a good smack every so often, it is the way I learned to keep you in line. Word on the street is you had a baby. I guess it's anyone's guess whose that baby really is. You may think you're happy now, but knowing you, you will screw it up, and I will be waiting to laugh at your pain.

Carl Raymore

Don sat there talking to his newborn son when he heard Meryl gasp. "Darl, what is it?" 

She never wanted Don to know, he could NEVER know. Carl Raymore. She had dated him before John and he was abusive. At first they got along great, then the longer they were together the more he changed-calling her fat, worthless, and hit her during fights. She never wanted Don to know how weak she had been. "Uh, nothing. I need to go get some air. Henry should be fine for awhile." She said with a quick kiss to his cheek as she put the letter in her purse.

"Who was that from?" Don asked.

"Oh, no one." She said shaking.

"Something is going on, tell me what it is." Don pleaded.

"Nothing. I'm really fine. I'll be back." She said walking out the door leaving her husband and their baby.

***

Five hours later she returned home. Don had put Henry down in the bassinet in their room and was folding laundry, wondering where the hell his wife was. Part of him was worried, but another part of him was pissed as hell. Luckily she had some bottles of breast milk in the refrigerator in case of an emergency that he gave Henry for the first time, it was hard but he finally got him to take it. Don looked up when he heard the door open. "Where the hell have you been?"