Chapter 3: Give a Little Time

I laughed to myself at how silly a fear of spoons may be but his cute ashamed look made me want to make sure he didn’t know that I thought it to be foolish so I simply grabbed his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze before once again closing my eyes and falling asleep to the sound off my boys talking around me.

(ORIGINAL POV)

I started physiotherapy on the third day, to try and regain the use of my hand, leg and voice. They warned me that it would be hard but I never imagined that anything could be worse. The boys are trying to be helpful but this is something that sadly, I must do alone. I have to split my time evenly between regaining the use of each of my injured body parts and I am currently working on my voice as my leg and hand have been used too much already today.

I’ve discovered that the boys all have beautiful voices and the doctors are using them and their singing to try and get me to speak. They sing a line to two from a song and I have to try to repeat it the best I can. I still haven’t been able to produce an actual sound and it’s more of a husky whisper type sound that I make whenever I try to speak or sing. The doctors say that the singing part of my physiotherapy will make me more engaged and will make my voice develop more strongly when I can finally make a sound.

The boys sing beautiful harmonies and lyrics that make me either want to cry dance or sing along with them but when my husky sound follows their angelic voices it makes me feel ashamed. I feel like I’m interrupting something too beautiful to be stopped but the boys don’t seem to mind. They put up with my tears and disappointment when I fail over and over again. Anne came in today and I found out that she is just visiting London to see Harry as she actually lives in Cheshire. Harry lives with Louis now and she doesn’t get to see him as often, so this visit is special for them. Harry goes out with her quite a lot and I miss his silly smile and comforting hugs but the other boys still try to go on without him during my voice therapy sessions.

A doctor, nurse or intern is always present during these sessions and they evaluate my progress to see where I need to change my approach or where I’m succeeding. My small noises are becoming stronger and every time I make even the slightest of sounds the boys egg me on to try to get me to say something. It’s late by the time we finish and the boys have ordered pizza tonight, although Niall tried his best to convince them that he was sure I wanted Nandos, again. However Liam took our side and it was decided that we all needed a break from Nandos so Louis and Zayn went to go pick up some Pizza for tonight.

Niall is waiting out front for Harry to be dropped back by Anne and it’s just Liam and I in my small hospital room. He’s exhausted from trying to help me all day and he is always so persistent in getting me to try again and again, which means that I’m pretty tired too. His head is rested on our hands with our fingers intertwined and laying on the bed in between us. His thumb makes circle patterns on the skin around my IV and his eyelids droop under his messy fallen hair. His breathing gets slowly heavier as he falls asleep and I can’t help but brush away the small piece of hair that has fallen down right over his left eye. As I do I try to muster a small thank you to express my gratitude for this boy who has stopped everything to try and help me recover. As my hand passes over his forehead a quiet “thank you” escapes my lips. And, as they should be, the first words spoken are to thank the boy who made it possible for me to be alive. I don’t think he heard me at first but Harry and Niall who just walked in with Louis, Zayn and the pizza in tow sure did and they erupted with cheers and they jumped around in celebration of me over coming this feat.

They jump and scream and sing praises for me. Niall and Harry even get on my bed and start jumping and dancing around together. Zayn comes over and gives me a giant bear hug and kisses me on the cheek before saying congratulations and moving over for Louis to come congratulate me. My smile splits open my face and Louis comes over and engulfs me in a warm embrace while he sings a little made up song about me finally talking. The boys all join in and soon they are parading around my room singing and dancing about my little thank you. Soon however, like usual, the doctors come in to break up our fun and they examine me before asking me to, if possible, speak again. The whole room goes quiet with anticipation and even Louis stops singing their little jingle to wait with the others to hear me speak once more. There are so many faces looking down on me, waiting for me to say something, anything. I don’t want to disappoint them so I just try to repeat the only other word I’ve managed to say. I look over to Liam and he squeezes my hand encouragingly. I muster up all the energy I have left and look up at the faces around the room.