Chapter 18: Just to See You Smile

“I’ll do anything for you Nora, anything at all.” His warm lips pressed down on my forehead and with that I fell asleep and dreamed peacefully, once more lying safely wrapped in Liam’s arms. 

(LIAM’S POV)

I woke up to Nora’s cries in the night and I instinctively got up to go make sure she was okay. After calming her down she fell asleep peacefully in my arms, leaving me to mull over our past conversation. Why had I kissed her? I mean I loved her of course, we all did, but did I love her in that way? Nora was beautiful, sweet, kind, funny, all in all she was what you would look for in a girl so shouldn’t this answer be simple?

No, not for us, it seemed like nothing ever went smoothly when she was involved and our circumstances made it all the more difficult. I hadn’t told Nora this yet because it’s not something you really go around telling people but before I found Nora, that day had been one of my worst. It was the day that I lost one of the greatest things I’d had at the time, Danielle.

She had been the center of my universe and then all of a sudden I had nothing holding me down to reality anymore. The break up hadn’t been for any specific reason and I guess I should have seen it coming, we had been growing apart day by day until one day we just woke up as strangers in each others lives. That morning we decided that it would be better for both of us to try and move on but that was easier said than done. She had been the one person that I could rely on for everything, usually I would have gone to her if anything that bad had happened but I was forced to accept the reality that she wouldn’t be there for me anymore.

I was scared to tell the boys, to tell my mum, the fans, I was just plain scared. I left my apartment in a rush that morning so she could be alone to gather her things. I didn’t want to be there when she left though, and I don’t think I could have put myself through that.

The others must have found out though, somehow, and had been calling my phone non-stop all morning while I had been out walking. For hours that day I just wandered aimlessly through shops, cafés, parks, anywhere to give me an excuse not to go back to my recently emptied apartment.

I had walked around for what seemed like forever, my phone in my hand the whole time but still I refused to answer any of their calls. How could I face them when I couldn’t even face the truth myself? Finally I’d had enough though and I was about to shove my phone in my back pocket after ripping out the battery all together when all of a sudden I tripped over the undone laces of the shoes I had hastily thrown on earlier that morning. I flailed my arms and probably looked ridiculous to most bystanders but all I focused on after that was that my phone had gone flying out of my hand and had disappeared down the mouth of the alleyway beside me.

“Shit,” I had wanted my phone to stop ringing but not to break it entirely and to me that stumble was just another awful thing to happen to me that day. But now that I look back on it, I think it might just have been fate pointing me back in the right direction. I rounded the corner staring down at the ground hoping to see that my phone was still intact but what I came across was Nora, who seemed broken beyond repair.

What I saw before me that morning was like a scene from a horror movie, there was blood everywhere; blood, bones, tears and screams. That’s all I can really remember from that morning because after that it was all adrenalin and the only thing I could think of was saving her life.

The ride in the ambulance was the most frightening though, Carla and I had refused to leave her side and the only time I let go of her hand was when they called clear and attempted to bring her heart back after it had flat lined over and over again. We were questioned by police, doctors and reporters alike before we were ushered into a quiet room to wait, and that’s all we did for the next few weeks until the first time I looked into her beautiful eyes.