Chapter 14: Lost in Desperation

She was no longer plagued by drowsiness nor was she weighed down by the masses of bad news she had received recently. No, this time there as this look of awareness and insightfulness in these bright blue eyes and before either of us could muster a word a sudden realization hit me and I understood what had changed in this new Nora. She was lucid, and had no idea who I was.

(NIALL’S POV)

“Please don’t hurt me! Please, please I promise I promise I won’t say anything please just don’t hurt me again!” She started begging and screaming and crying, her new personality was unrecognizable and terror pulsed through my veins as I rushed to get as far away from there as fast as possible. I sprinted out into the hall trying to evade her pleas but I ran into Dr Harvey right outside the door.

“She, she remembers… please help me she remembers everything but she doesn’t know who I am! She doesn’t remember anything after the accident, it’s like her memory’s been reversed or something! Please you just have to help me I can’t be in there anymore. She’s distraught and scared and she thinks I’m going to hurt her but I’m not, I’d never, please just help her!” I must have seemed hysterical to the doctors’ standing around in the hall but they hadn’t seen the change in her eyes. They weren’t there when that contented, peaceful look was replaced with fear and dread. They didn’t feel the way her body automatically pulled away from mine, ridged and scared of my touch when only moments earlier I had been comforting her in my arms. They didn’t know, but I had to tell them, I had to tell them so they could try and fix her.

“What do you mean? Has she told you anything?”

“You weren’t there, you didn’t see her change it was like one minute she was there and the next she… she’s just scared and you have to help her!” Dr Harvey pushed me aside and rushed into the room where we walked in on Nora rushing around the room looking through everything, turning over tables, looking under beds and through drawers but she stopped the second she heard us and turned around with blood pouring down her arms from an unknown source. I dove forward to try and help her but Dr Harvey grabbed my arms and held me back screaming for help from nurses and asking for the distress and psychiatric ward specialists.

“You can’t hurt them anymore and now you can’t hurt me either, I know their watching but they can’t do anything now. You can’t hurt me! I won’t let you! You can’t hurt me anymore!” She frantically looked up her eyes darting around the room. The crazed and unrecognizable look in her eyes frightened me but I couldn’t shake the feeling of wanting to help her. I had no idea who this new person was but to me she was still my Nora, and I would do anything to keep her safe.

(LIAM’S POV)

“Harry stop flirting with the nurses!”

“Yeah Harry, don’t flirt with them, jeez what could you possibly be thinking!” Zayn laughed at his own joke as they continued to check out every scrub nurse that walked our way.

“Wait guys, is that Niall?” Louis tore our attention away from Zayn and Harry’s games and we looked down the hall to see Niall crouched down covering his head with his hands and rocking back and forth against the wall near Nora’s room. It took us a split second before all four of us broke into a sprint making our way down to where he was sitting.

“Niall! Niall what happened? Where is she?” I rushed forward and crouched down in front of him, he looked up at us, his face red, swollen and tear streaked.

“Niall, come on where is she? Is she in there?” He just shook his head, his eyes welling over with more tears and his hands covering up his face once more. Louis was rattling the door handle but it wouldn’t budge and this made only made him more frustrated. 
“Damn it Niall where is she!” Louis’ yell attracted nearly everyone’s attention except for Niall’s; Harry stepped up and took Louis to the side to calm him down leaving Zayn to keep trying to open the door while I still attempted to reason with Niall.