Chapter 41: Sweet Peas

“Would you like to go on?” Giving me a moment to compose myself I saw her scrawl some more notes down into her large leather-bound book that sat perched on her knee. “Yes, thank you. So what else do you want to know?” 

(NORA’S POV)

“I just miss them so much it hurts.” I was crouched over in the chair by then, my head in my hands while all the doctor did was sit there. She sat there as I cried, and sobbed over the loss of my mum, dad, Nathan and she had even brought up Xavier, which only added to my pain. “I didn’t know before, I didn’t know how much it still hurt. They were all just ripped away from me, one drunk driver, one wrong turn, one unanimous scream and they were all gone; and I was alone.” I looked up out of my

“Why are you sitting there? You’re just sitting there but you’re supposed to help me! You’re supposed to make it easier but it’s only getting worse!”

“Nora, coming here today wasn’t magically going to make all your pain go away. Nor will our next visit, or the visit after that. But each time you cry, each time you remember them, each time you miss them or think about them, you’re getting stronger. And you’ll never stop missing them, but soon you’ll be able to smile when you remember your short time spent with them, and I’m going to help you achieve that.”

“Really?” I sounded like a small child, my voice weak and my eyes dry from crying too often.

“Of course, it might seem unbearable snow but it will get better, I promise.”

I didn’t spend much longer with her that day. But I went twice again that week and by the time the weekend came around I had forged some sort of supportive friendship with Dr Wyatt and I knew that even when things seemed at their worst, it would get better, eventually.

“Hey hun, you ready to go?” Harry stuck his head through my door and I sat up, grabbing my bag and hoping that my nap hadn’t smudged my makeup or the careful braiding that Niall had done for me earlier that afternoon. Sighing I looked down at my shoes, barely peaking out from under my bump, I guess that was as ready as I’d ever be.

The boys had invited me to watch them perform at a charity concert they were doing today and Ellie and I would be able to see them from the side of the stage later that night. We had to get there early though so the boys could go through sound check and change into their usual concert outfits, so Eleanor was meeting us there, but what the boys didn’t know was that she was bringing a special guest with her.

I pushed that little surprise out of my mind though and walked out into the hall where Harry had met up with the other guys. They all looked excited and had been talking about this concert for quite some time, all of them always loved performing but hadn’t been doing it as often lately, so tonight was important for all of them as well as their publicity.

The car ride was quick and I was glad we were able to sneak in through a back entrance, once more avoiding the growing crowd of fans who had already begun to gather outside the arena. “Here come my five favorite boys!” A young woman with long blonde hair and a baby on her hips rounded the corner and the boys immediately rushed towards her. All of them taking turns hugging and gushing over the incredibly adorable baby that was now being held by Harry, spinning around and making goofy faces. I watched from a slight distance away but soon I heard someone next to me and looked over to see the same woman from before. “Hey, I’m Lou Teasdale, and that little treasure is Lux.” I looked back over at the baby as her giggle filled the room and all five boys were completely entranced with her every move.

“Nice to meet you Lou, I’m Nora.” She shook my hand briefly before rushing back over to the boys and ushering them into a side room, I followed quietly behind but Liam stayed back to make sure I didn’t get lost along the way. By the time we caught up with the others though Niall and Louis were half way through changing while Zayn was sat in a chair with two women working on his hair. Harry was sat on the floor playing with Lux and his dimpled smile matched her own while he cheekily played peek-a-boo.