Chapter 4: Parting Glances

I opened my mouth to answer and assure him that it was nothing and I was just tired but all that came out was blood and the last thing I can remember before once again loosing consciousness was Liam running into the room expecting to see me walking but instead I was in a state even worse than when he left me. 

(ORIGINAL POV)

Tears welled up over Liam’s eyes and all the boys crouched around me as I coughed up more and more blood. I wished that I could stop but every time I gasped for more air only blood came back up. I felt like I was drowning in my own blood. Liam then rushed out of the room screaming and begging for people to come help. Harry grabbed towels and tried to mop up the steady stream of blood I was coughing up but none of the boys could do much good, they were as helpless as I was.

There had been a huge accident earlier in the day and most surgeons and doctors could only be found in ORs and patient rooms so doctors and surgeons on this floor were scarce. Liam arrived though with three interns, a pediatric surgeon and a nurse. They quickly assessed my condition and said that I had to go immediately into surgery to deal with internal bleedings and other side effects of my earlier surgeries. The thought of going back under scared me to death and I held close to the boys around me. They were trying to figure out a game plan to get me to the OR without a gurney because they were all in use and the fact that the doctors were stating that I needed to remain as flat as possible while being moved posed a slight problem. While everyone was debating different strategies I suddenly felt myself being lifted up and recognized Harry’s strong arms around me. “Well you guys fucking talking the whole time isn’t going to get her there any faster so move out of my bloody way so I can get this girl to an OR.” He straightened himself up and tightened his grip around me as he began rushing down towards the elevator. Niall was the first to readjust after Harry’s sudden outburst and he quickly followed and helped Harry by carrying my legs so that I could stay flat and the blood flow would lessen. The other boys and the hospital staff soon followed and they all helped Harry and Niall to carry me in the least disruptive way up to the OR.

We burst through the doors and were met by an onslaught of more surgeons and nurses who immediately began prepping me for surgery and rushing me down the halls to the all too familiar OR. I was hastily placed on a gurney and the boys were pushed to the side as the doctors struggled, once more, to save my life.

“Okay that’s it easy does it and lets move her to the OR, everyone ready” A doctor who seemed to be in charge of the operation came in and everyone began the procedures of moving me to another room. Right as we were leaving though the boys pushed through with Anne and Carla in tow. They were lead by Nancy who immediately provided an explanation for the obviously annoyed doctors.

Out of breath she huffed, “I promised, I always promised them that they could say goodbye, I promised, please? It will only take them a minute…” She glanced with darting eyes from doctor to doctor until Dr Harvey said that they could have one minute and one minute only. Niall leapt forward from the group and I hugged him as the other boys swelled around me and Anne and Carla came over behind them. I’ve never seen Louis cry before, he’d always been the strong one, always cracking a joke to make us all feel better, but here he was, tears streaming down his face as he gripped my hand, kissed me on the cheek, our tears mixing together as he leaned in close and whispered, “Don’t cry Blondie, we’ll be waiting for you when you come out.” He grimaced in an attempt to stop the steady flow of tears and hastily wiped them off as he turned away and let Zayn come through to say goodbye.

He pulled me in close wiping away my tears; “I’ll see you soon right? I still have to reclaim my title as battleship champion right?” I had beaten him once before, breaking his winning streak and I smiled through my tears and nodded slightly as he pulled away.