Chapter 7: We're Just Breakable Girls and Boys

“I was wondering when I’d be able to talk to you alone. Those guys are pretty tough competition so I couldn’t really pass up this opportunity to talk to you know that they’re gone.” He smiled a wide crinkly smile and his broad shoulders shook when he laughed. He stuck out his hand and I looked up almost melting in his golden-flecked hazel eyes. “Hi, I’m Xavier. Xavier Caverly, and you are?…”

(ORIGINAL POV)

I sat there in shock for a moment, was someone actually coming to talk to me? His hand was still stuck out awkwardly so I shook it quickly so he didn’t think there was something wrong with me, well besides the obvious of course.

“Uh hi,” I smiled weakly and then turned back to my doodling, it’s not like I can introduce myself or anything like that. He chuckled and scooted his chair closer to mine, “This, my dear, is the part where you tell me your name.” His eyes bore into the side of my head and I was stuck trapped in an extremely awkward moment. What should I tell him? Should I make something up?

“Um I just can’t exactly remember my name just yet…” I winced and didn’t dare to look up to see his horrified reaction.

“Oh, oh um well that’s fine. So what are you in here for? Sorry to be the one to have to ask though, everyone in here’s just a bit curious.” I looked around and saw that we were drawing quite a bit of attention. Apparently a guy talking to a girl who’s currently being looked after by one of the biggest boy bands in Britain could do that.

“Um amnesia apparently and um lots and lots of different injuries I guess,” He smiled then and I was curious as to what he would be doing here, he didn’t look like someone who should be in a surgical ward, “What about you?” I blurted out the last question and I almost expected him to leave. I’m not very good with social situations as the only people I’ve been around really have been the boys and doctors. Xavier surprised me again however by simply answering my question, I guess I had a lot to learn about being around other people.

“Brain tumor, it doesn’t look like I should be here though right?” I nodded and he smiled again. He had a beautiful smile, one that stretched up and even reached his eyes. It was an honest smile and it suited him well.

“So what are you drawing? Wow, these are actually pretty good. These are of those other guys aren’t they?” He had flipped through my sketches and he was right, I had been attempting to draw the boys but it was hard and I didn’t think they were any good. “Maybe you could practice by drawing me?” I looked over to see if he was actually being serious but he had already turned his chair around so it was facing me and was pulling a bunch of ridiculous poses. I couldn’t help myself but laughing out loud and he chuckled along with me while I playfully told him off and made him stay still so I could draw him properly.

My sketches of the boys had been from memory so they weren’t as good but actually having the person in front of me helped. Xavier soon caught on that I wasn’t much of a talker but he made up for it by telling me stories while we sat together. He told me all about his tumor and how the best brain surgeon here was going to try and remove it, but we also talked about lighter subjects and he managed to get a few words out of me when he drilled me with dozens random questions. They took me a while to answer but he egged me on and gave me options to choose from which made it much easier. By the end of our time together I had discovered my favorite food, number color and other odd little facts that would mean nothing to other people but they meant the world to me.

I felt comfortable with Xavier and I was glad that he had come over because he kept me distracted from the millions of questions whirling around my head and the more obvious fact that the boys weren’t around, and I was always lonely when I wasn’t with them.