Chapter 29: Tsunami Tides in My Eyes

“Nora it’s okay, I’m here… I’ve got you.” Finally I realized that it was Liam who had come to help me and this realization only caused me to cry harder. I buried myself in his arms and sobbed as I remembered the boy I had loved and lost and was comforted by the one who had come back to save me.

(LIAM’S POV)

The sound of breaking glass instantly alerted me and I got up from the couch, quickly running to the source of the sound. I reached the bathroom and quickly knocked but as I did the door swung forward on it’s hinges and I saw Nora crouched down on the floor. Blood was dripping from the cuts on her hands down onto the shattered glass but the thing that caught my attention the most was an ivory white letter and matching envelope. There were drops of blood spattered over it and although I was intrigued by it my thoughts instantly flicked back to Nora who was, like always, my top priority.

Immediately, without thinking, I reached out to her and pulled her away from the broken glass. She seemed so weak and distraught so I sat down on the bathroom floor, propped up against the wall and held her close. She turned her face away from the blood and fallen shards of glass and buried herself in my chest, her bloody hands gripping my shirt leaving haunting red stains along with her tears.

“Nora it’s okay, I’m here… I’ve got you.” I stroked her hair and rocked her gently, trying to stop her small, fragile body from shaking. Her sobbing though didn’t stop for quite sometime and I just sat there holding her, feeling helpless as she cried herself to sleep in my arms. After what seemed like an eternity her breathing slowed down and the tears stopped flowing. Finally she was calm and I could breathe easy, for now at least.

I had heard the shuffling of feet and anxious whispers from the other side of the door but they knew to keep their distance and I was grateful that they did; scared that if they woke her I wouldn’t be able to calm her down again. My eyes flicked back to the fallen papers and her bloodstains contrasted against the bright white paper reminded me of the times she had been hurt in the hospital, unearthing many unwanted and haunting memories.

I shifted my weight slightly but all she did was hold me tighter and I stretched out, reaching for the source of all her pain, the letter. The glass scratched across the floor and I shook the sparkling dust off the paper before straightening up to read it.‘The honor of your presence is requested at the memorial service to celebrate and remember the life of Xavier Oliver Caverly…”

The ‘invitation’ went on but I didn’t need to read any further, that was more than enough. I set in back down beside me and focused all my attention back on Nora. I choked back tears of sympathy and pain, holding her closer as I remembered the bright, smiling boy who, just months earlier, had been the center of her universe.

It was overwhelming to think about how much she had lost, she had really loved him and now I fully understood why she couldn’t be with me. She had lost the boy that she loved, but the feelings were still there. I sat there lost in my thoughts for a while longer before it appeared that the others had had enough of waiting and they hesitantly pushed it open revealing almost everyone standing on the other side of the door.

There was a small scream from Anne and she turned away from the mess as Robin comforted her and stepped out of the way so that the boys could come through.

“Shit.” Was all Niall said but the others were left speechless as they tried to piece together what had happened. Zayn pushed to the front, his shoes crunching across the fallen glass as he leant down, his eyes widening at the shocking scene that met the newcomers. The sound of their voices cause Nora to wake up but she didn’t say a word, she was stunned by the horrible news and seemed almost like a rag doll as I stood up with her still wrapped safely in my arms.