Chapter 31: Echoes in the Hallways

“Nora, does the name Tyler Parker ring a bell?” She shook her head and looked back up at me. “Should I? Louis should I?” I just shrugged, I was nearly as clueless as her and we both looked back down at Harry, waiting for answers. “Nora he was, he was your boyfriend before the accident; and he was the one standing outside the courthouse today.”

(NORA’S POV)

Tyler Parker; finally I could put a name to the face of the boy I saw today. I racked my brain for any memory that would be helpful, searching, hoping, and praying that something would remind me of him. But there was nothing; as usual my mind had come up blank, and it was infuriating. It was times like this when the reality of my problems hit me and it was exhausting trying to remember when my damaged brain was doing all it could to hide those memories from me.

My few hours of being lucid had shown us all that the memories were still there I just couldn’t access them. The pathway between my mind now and the past thoughts was broken and I would have given anything right then to be able to remember. All this time I had thought I was alone, that no one knew me or even cared. But when Harry said that this was a person from my past, it gave me new hope, I wasn’t alone and if I spent time with him; if I got to know this boy from my past, then maybe, just maybe, he would help me to remember.

“Nora, love, are you alright? I know it’s a lot to take in so if you need to talk or anything then just let us know…” Louis was staring down at me on the couch and I realized then that my stunned silence had probably begun to worry them. “I need to see him.” Harry and Louis exchanged a nervous glance and I took my hands out of Harry’s grip, using them instead to pull on the ends of my shirt, like I always did when I was nervous and wanted to draw unwanted attention away from my face. “Please?”

“Of course, why else would I have invited him to come over here tomorrow morning.” My head shot up and a huge smile spread across my face. “Oh thank you Harry!” I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight, for once things were actually happening in my favor. “Look I’m happy for you and all but do you really think this is such a good idea? I mean how do we know this guy is even telling the truth?” Louis sat down in the armchair opposite us and leant forward, staring at Harry and I like misbehaving children. “Lou, he called her Sadie, I don’t think we can ask for any bigger confirmation than that. And don’t assume I didn’t think about it because I did, and that’s why I invited him here. I’m not about to let Nora go running around with some stranger and if he’s here then we can keep an eye out for anything unusual, alright?” Louis just shrugged, he obviously wasn’t convinced but it was two against one here so he just stood up and decided to call it a night, slamming his door behind him as he left.

“Harry why is Louis so upset? I, I thought he’d be happy for me?” The disapproving look I had seen in Lou’s eyes was haunting me as silence rang out through the apartment. “He’s just worried about you. You’re going through a lot right now and we’ve finally gotten through the worst of it and then here comes this bloke claiming to be your old boyfriend. It worried me too at first but we can’t shelter you from everything, the most we can do now is jus try to make sure that when you’re exposed to new things like this you’re as safe as you can be, and that’s all we can hope for.” Wait, boyfriend? I hadn’t heard that part before. I had just assumed Harry had said friend but, if this Tyler guy had been my boyfriend, or at least claimed to be, then I could see why Louis would be upset.

“Thanks Harry, but I think I’m going to go talk to Lou, just to make sure he’s okay.” I scrambled up from the couch and Harry steadied me as I pulled my shirt down to cover my stomach and walked to the back of apartment to Louis’ room. I knocked tentatively on the door and heard a distant, “Come in.” from further inside the room. I creaked open the door and saw Louis sat on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands. “Hey Lou,” I shut the door and sat down on the bed next to him, resting my head on his shoulder as he put his arm around my waist and hugged me softly. “I’m sorry Nora, I just, I just feel somewhat responsible for you and I don’t want to see you get hurt again.” He pulled away and his eyes had a sympathetic look in them as he glanced down at me.