Chapter 23: Labyrinth

A/N: Hello anyone and everyone who has decided to read this fanfic! Just a disclaimer that at the end of this chapter a girl is featured who won a competition on my tumblr so if it seems a bit different to you then that's probably why. Other than that though it would mean to world to me to get some feedback from you guys  on what you think and how I can improve my writing because I’m always looking for ways to make the story better and more enjoyable for you! Thank you and happy reading! :) xx

****************************************************************************

“We’ve found him Nora, and now it’s you’re chance to get the justice that you’ve been waiting for. We’ve finally found him Miss Styles, and now is the time for you to be brave and face your fears; because he’s waiting for you at the station.” 

(NORA’S POV)

Niall had come out of the room to see the commotion and Officer Stanley filled him in while I was still stuck in my seemingly permanent state of shock. He acted fast and grabbed a coat, keys and ushered us downstairs to grab Liam, it was his decision to bring him and I was thankful that it wasn’t up to me to decide which boys to bring. The ride in the police car was silent and I was frozen, unable to show the millions of emotions I was feeling right now. We pulled up to a squat grey building in the middle of the city and the high security measures around it only made me feel worse about the situation. 

Walking down the echoing hallways it was like reliving my nightmares that had kept me awake for the first weeks. The lights ahead of me flickered and from deep within the labyrinth of hallways a shrill laugh reached my ears and sent shivers down my spine. Soon we approached a high security area in the office and all of us were searched for any weapons before being allowed to proceed. Just ahead of us an oversized, heavy steel door was pulled forward and I gasped; both out of fear and astonishment, at the new sounds that bounced off the walls of the high security prison. 

“Sadie…” The hauntingly familiar voice trailed off towards the end of the name before picking back up at a higher, more distressing pitch. The voice then paused before continuing the singsong calling of my old name. 

 “Sadie…” There it was again, it was as if he was mocking me and I looked around, expecting to see him sitting in plain view but with the echoes bouncing off the pressed metal and tinted glass walls I was disoriented and unable to locate to source of the sound. 

“I’m so sorry about that. He’s been at it for the better part of an hour and we just can’t seem to get him to shut up.” Officer Stanley looked uneasy and sweat beads were trickling down his balding head as he tugged nervously at the collar of his uniform. 

“Does he,” I paused as another bout of shrill laughter interrupted me mid sentence, “Does he know that I’m here.” My voice was hoarse, masked by my unbelievable the fear, it sounded seemingly unrecognizable. 

“No, all that he knows is that I haven’t been in for a while but with matters concerning you, we’ve tried out best to keep him in the dark.” Stanley’s emphasis on the ‘tried our best’ did nothing to help with my current panicked condition and the boys on either side of me gripped my hands tighter as my small figure quaked and shook with pure terror. 

“Now I’m going to go in and talk to him now but, oh here she is, Nora this is Officer Stein,” A tall woman with a short boy-cut hair-do and a stern expression rounded the corner as Officer Stanley introduced her to us. “She has been working closely with us on your particular case and will be taking you into the next room where you can watch safely from behind the two-way mirror.” 

“Come this way please.” She was curt and cold but I didn’t have much time to react, we were shown into a dark room and I stopped straight in my tracks because before I knew it I was staring straight into the eyes of the man who had destroyed my life.