Chapter 28: One Last Thing

I had returned to the compound with Nik and I was now sat alone in one of the many rooms. I looked at one of the old paintings he had done. Admiring the way Marcel and I were sitting on a chair and smiling at one another. It made me wish my father and I had better memories together. Because for as many good memories I had of Silas, I had just as many bad ones.

"Fiore. There's something you need to know about the girl's child." Silas told me as I sat looking at the Northern lights with the cure in one hand and a bottle of rum laced with arsenic in the other. I was ready. It was my time to go.

"I don't want to hear anything about it" I said feebly. "I'm going to die, and I'm going to join you."

"You don't want to do that. Don't do that!"

"You don't control me anymore!" I snapped and he sighed, his mind swirling with reasons to try and convince. None of which would work. "Tell me what it's like."

"It's not a nice place. It's like living here and seeing everything that goes on but being helpless to do anything about it." He answered.

"But that's a good thing, right?" I said with a sad smile. "Not interfering with the plans of the universe. Are you happy?"

"I'm happy when I see you live your life Fiore."

"I wish I could see you" I said as a tear slipped from my eyes. "I wish I could put a face to the voice. And if I take these, if I do this, then I can."

"Don't do this if it won't make you happy."

"But it will" I told him. "I'll be happy, because they are. I'll be happy because I'm not here to make them unhappy. Or this cursed child unhappy."

"He's going to come for you, you know" Silas told me. "I told him to come here."

"Why would you do that?" I snapped anrily at him. I had to do this, and Nik wouldn't be able to understand why. I didn't want to put him through losing me too. I couldn't.

"Because he makes you happy, not me." I sighed and threw the bottle down, smashing it into pieces. I almost did the same with the cure but I hid it instead. Just in case I changed my mind.

"Hello sis. Glad to see you safe and sound." Rebekah said smiling at me as she entered the room. "The child?"

"Still intact" I said with a wry smile. She looked back at me with a face that showed sadness. But one masked with joy. "You told him, why?"

"I honestly don't know." She shrugged and sat down beside me, her mind clearly in disarray. "I didn't have to but I did. Because deep down, I know there will never be a parent as good as he will be. As good as you both will be."

"Not even you?"

"Fiore wait!" Rebekah said as I headed for the bedroom door. "I want the child. Give the child to me!"

"What?" I spun around and looked at Rebekah in confusion. Her face scrunched up in longing and her hands held out to me, wishing she could take the baby straight from me.

"You can leave, go away for nine months, do whatever you want and when the time comes for you to have the baby, you can give it to me." She said quickly. This was the most determined I had ever seen her. "I want the child, so badly. I'll raise it like my own, I'd be so good to it, just give me the child. Please."

"Rebekah I— "

"Just think about it. At least, think about it." She begged. "This is the closest I will ever get to being a human again, so just do this one favour, for me."