Chapter 45: A Few Vacation Days

~Dreamscape~

"You missed her heart" I told him sitting down on the tomb and revealing myself to him.

"I suppose I did." He replied looking at the stake in his hand.

"You never meant to kill her. You just wanted her to feel the fear you felt when Mikael came for you"

"They accuse me of being evil, the both of them, yet it was her that conspired against her own blood." He mumbled.

"You made our lives a living hell" Rebekah said waking up and finding the two of us. "You tormented us."

"I love my family—You, Elijah, Fiore, every single one of you. I loved you all" He said jumping down and looking her in the eyes. "I know I can be difficult, but I did not make myself this way. It was Mikael who ruined me."

"He ruined her too Nik." I told him. "You forget that. You forget that centuries later every one of you is broken. You with anger and paranoia, Rebekah's fear of abandonment and Elijah, the one that dedicates himself to everybody but himself."

"We are the strongest creatures in the world, and yet, we are damaged beyond repair." Rebekah said blankly. "We live without grace, but we will never die. We are the definition of 'cursed'. Always and forever."

I left the two of them alone and went back to searching for help with Kieran's hex. I may not be good at witchcraft, but at least I knew how to keep a Mikaelson in check.

~Rebekah POV~

"We're still trapped in here, Nik. Whatever you're going to do, do it now" Rebekah said passively as the two sat down in the cemetery still talking to themselves.

"She said our father ruined us. And I can't help but wonder if his father ruined him" Nik said quietly. "Fiore had us all down to a tee."

"She would know. Her own father ruined her too." Rebekah mumbled. "Fiore has the worst affliction of all because she is a mix of us. That's why she stayed for so long, she's the same as us. She's probably more of a Mikaelson than we ever were."

"It's not real, you know" Klaus told her. "She made this all up and we fell right into her trap and soon it will all be over."

~Fiore POV~

I was still searching through the books when I heard Klaus awaken behind me, gasping as he came out from his illusion.

"So melodramatic" I muttered still looking at my books. "You didn't die, no need for the laboured breathing."

"You tricked me." He muttered with the stake in his hand.

"I did." I said turning to look at him. "I knew you wouldn't kill her, you didn't want to, I just needed you to see it yourself."

"I still possess the stake, what stops me from doing it now?" He asked looking at the stake in his hand.

"Nothing. In fact, Rebekah is still locked in her crypt, as is Elijah. Should you want to kill either of them, then you can." I said shrugging.

"So you can paint me as the evil bastard brother?" He muttered still looking at it.

"If you don't want to get your hands dirty, I could do it for you. Our secret. Just give me the stake, and I'll do it. You are not Mikael, you won't humiliate or dehumanize her, just give me the stake and she will have a quick death." I said offering out my hand to him. "Or you could let her out. Set her free."

~Rebekah POV~

Rebekah awakened in a crypt all alone. She immediately tried to leave but found herself trapped inside, no Elijah, no Fiore, no nothing and she was stuck. She held her breath as she saw Klaus stand outside her crypt and she braced herself for the inevitable.

"The barrier is down." Her brother told her.

"I'm still stuck here." She muttered.

"I know." He said nodding and looking directly at her. "But should I utter the words, you will be allowed to leave."

"I know you hate me, but what's done is done." She told him.

"Except it never is" He said staring blankly. "It remains within us; a story we tell ourselves so we know who we are. Vicious father, a bastard son, and the sister who betrayed him. Perhaps it's time for a new story. What is it you want, Rebekah?"

"What I've wanted since I was a child." She said wistfully. "A home, a family, someone to love me, and I want to live."

"Then go" Klaus said looking directly at her now. "Go far away and never come back. We are far too damaged to remain together, less a family now than a volatile mix of ingredients. New Orleans will be mine. I will raise my child here in the city you took from me. No doubt, Elijah will choose to stay, but you? Sister, you are free." Rebekah looked at her brother in shock and walked out of the cemetery, relieved she had made it out. She had finally been granted what she had craved for so long—freedom.

Shortly after she left, Elijah caught up with her, having been freed from the cemetery also. She smiled at him and sighed, knowing exactly how this conversation was going to go.

"I trust you have been clued into our status for the past three days." She said to him and he nodded.

"Fiore came to our rescue, I am aware. I am also aware that our brother has released his hold on you."

"Yes" She said with a bright smile. "I'll be leaving as soon as I pick up the last of my belongings. Any chance you'll be joining me?" Elijah looked down and smiled, confirming what she already knew. "I didn't think so."

"I do hope you find everything you're looking for." He said smiling at her.

**********************************************************************************

Rebekah made her way over to the Bayou, on to the next goodbye she would have to say. She trudged through the mud and smiled at her friend who beamed right back.

"Hey, Rebekah, what are you doing here?" Hayley asked her. "Not that I don't want you here. You can join the bonfire if you want to?"

"I'm actually here to say goodbye, Hayley."

"What happened to us girls sticking together?" Hayley said curtly.

"Well, Nik and I came to a sort of all-or-nothing arrangement. I leave town for good, and he allows me to. Can't pass that up." She said shrugging. "Besides, you've still got one original girl to your name."

"A thousand years with Klaus?" Hayley said laughing sadly. "Yeah I guess you deserve more than a few vacation days." She hugged her and Rebekah started to walk away when Hayley called out to her again. "You know you can always come back and visit! I've been known to keep a secret or two from Klaus"

A/N: REBEKAH NOOOOOOOOO! I wish she had stayed, she was the bomb.com. Also, what secrets is Hayley keeping from Klaus? Shady af...

Leave a comment telling me how much you miss Bex and also your theories on Hayley's secret!

Also please vote, follow me and spread the word about the Enigma series! Until next week, Love you as always! X