Chapter 64: True Peace

~Klaus POV~

"When Mikael is gone, do you think I'll find true peace?" Klaus asked his older brother on the streets of the Quarter.

"I certainly hope so. Although, it's not only our father who haunts you, Niklaus." Elijah said, gesturing to Marcel who stood across the street from them. Klaus rolled his eyes but Elijah continued on. "You should at least try and make peace with the living. Maybe you'll even find Fiore's curse is lifted by your actions."

"KLAUS HEAL HIM" Fiore cried out when she found Marcel on the neighbour's front porch, shot by his real father. Klaus bit into his wrist and offered it Marcel who shook his head.

"No" He said. "Turn me now, or let me die."

"Absolutely not." Fiore said shaking her head vehemently. "Klaus do not turn him!"

"You always said we choose our family. So, what am I to you, Mother? What am I to you Klaus? You made me a promise, Klaus. It's finally time to make a choice."

"You do not know what you ask of me! Becoming like me! It would rob you of all that makes you good." Klaus said, pleading with him in a panic.

"I know what you are. Who you are. This is what I want! Please!" Both Marcel and Fiore were near tears, both wanting the opposite thing. Klaus took in a deep breath before biting into his wrist and offering it to Marcel again. Marcel took several gulps and his Blossom once again looked pleadingly at him, but Klaus knew what he had to do. He snapped Marcel's neck, following through with his promise to his son.

Klaus watched as Marcel walked down a dark alley after having met eye contact with him. He cut him off at the end of the alley and startled him.

"Your suspension ends when the clock strikes." Klaus reminded him.

"I'm aware. Don't worry! I intend to be far away from here by then. But, just because I'm across the river, doesn't mean I'm not in the game." Marcel had replied, before pointing up at the sky. "Full moon's coming. I know you're up to something with the wolves, and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what. But any way I do the math, it ends with me and my guys dead. Or, maybe we're supposed to fall in line, pledge our allegiance to you all over again so if we get bitten, you might deign to cure us. Is that what you're after? 'Cause it's not gonna happen."

"That will all be your choice, just like you chose to bring my father to town. You, who knows better than anyone, the specific agony of a father's hatred." Klaus said, staring at the man he had once called his son, feeling wholly pained.

"Klaus I—"

"I SPENT DECADES TRYING TO MAKE UP FOR WHAT YOUR FATHER DID!" Klaus let out his anguish before composing himself and continuing. "I just—How did I fail you?"

"Maybe the scars just ran too deep" Marcel said, looking at the ground, unable to meet the original's gaze.

"Goodnight, Marcellus" Klaus told him, nodding as he went to leave.

"You didn't fail me. Neither of you did. You raised me." Marcel called out, causing Klaus to stop in his tracks. You taught me everything that I know. You taught me that I can't afford to be weak. Not when my enemies are stronger. So, whatever it is you've got coming with the wolves, just know that I'm gonna fight for my guys. I'm gonna fight for my city. AND I WILL FIGHT UNTIL I AM DEAD" Klaus turned and smirked at him, staring him directly in the eyes.

"I would expect nothing less."

**********************************************************************************