Chapter 36: A Foolish Mistake

"ENOUGH OF YOUR LIES" Klaus shouted as the memory faded away from us. I wanted to scream, I wanted to shout but even if he could hear me, there was nothing I could say. If Rebekah had really done that, then she was already dead. 

"Don't dismember the messenger" She said with a grim expression. "Part of you must have known. Suspected, at least. Your father came to New Orleans in 1919 to kill you, did he not? And as the city burned, he nearly succeeded."

"My family and I have done some terrible things to one another over the years." Klaus said angrily. "But she would never do anything so treacherous such as calling my father, no matter how angry she was."

"It's sweet of you to believe that" She said kissing his forehead. "But by the time we're done, you'll see just how wrong you are."

~Elijah POV~

Elijah and Hayley were still in the study looking for information on the one witch Sabine inhabited that didn't die by her own hand.

"Find anything out about Clara, our mystery witch?" Marcel asked as he joined them.

"Just that she was a nurse at the Fleur-de-Lis Sanatorium" Hayley said with a sigh. She turned the laptop around and showed Marcel and Elijah a picture of her. "Top row, second from the right. Recognise her?"

"No I don't. Marcel?" Elijah turned only to see Marcel looking visibly alarmed. "Marcel? Do I need to remind you that Niklaus and Rebekah are somewhere suffering horribly? Fiore is there with them and she is pregnant. If you know something, talk."

"They'll be in the sanatorium"

"How do you know?" Hayley asked.

"I just do"

"Marcel!" Elijah said impatiently. "How do you know?"

"If I'm right" Marcel started with a frustrated sigh, "Then you need to know exactly what we're walking into. We did something, Rebekah and I... I think the witches are trying to use it against her. It was, uh... something that you're not gonna like. We got a witch, Genevieve, to summon Mikael to New Orleans so he could chase Klaus away"

"For the better part of a century." Elijah started trying to curb his anger. "I have wondered how Father found us, what foolish mistake that we had made to destroy our time in the one place that we could finally call home. Did you know, I even blamed myself for a time, Marcellus?"

"Elijah—" Hayley tried to calm him down but he ignored her and continued his reprimand. Marcel had ruined everything for them with that mistake and now it threatened to ruin them once again.

"Niklaus treated you like a son. Fiore treated you like a son. And you would try to kill him, causing us all an unending torment?" Elijah asked in disbelief.

"Rebekah. I loved her. I still love her. All we ever wanted was to be together, but as long as Klaus was around, that was never gonna happen. But hey, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, huh?" Marcel answered defiantly. "I didn't want Fiore to get hurt."

"And yet, he almost killed her that day, do you know that?" Elijah shot back. "When Klaus learns the truth, there will be no end to his rage, and if Fiore decides to join him in his anger, justifiably I might add, then Rebekah will suffer that wrath, and I will never allow it."

"Then we need to get to them before either of them learn the truth."

~Rebekah POV~

"Just give up Rebekah. It's inevitable at this point"

"Sabine" Rebekah said as she stumbled into a corner away from her.