Chapter 63: To Succeed

Elijah, Hayley, Klaus and I, along with the hundreds of inhabitants of the French Quarter gathered in the streets for a parade in the late Father Kieran's honour. I kept having coughing fits and feeling faint for some reason, which made Nik a very concerned husband.

"Are you alright?" He asked, holding me steady.

"Yes, I'm fine." I told him, but he remained unconvinced. "Honestly, it's probably just that bug I told you about, besides I wouldn't die at a funeral, how uncouth."

"Polite to the bitter end" Hayley said chuckling.

"Yeah, just make sure if I die you have a parade as big as this one" I said in between coughs. "But not that sodding wake because if Nik is drunk at my funeral I will come back and kill you all."

"Please don't joke about dying when you look like you actually might." Nik said turning pale at the sight of me.

"Okay new topic" Hayley said, looking ahead of us. "Do you think I was the target of those bombings?" Nik and I both looked at each other and Immediately erupted into laughter.

"Obviously" I said trying to remain calm. "This is a funeral Hayley, please don't make me laugh"

"Of course you were the target" Nik said, rolling his eyes. "Were I to wage a war on the wolves, you'd be my first kill"

"I'd string you up for all your worshippers to see." I said still giggling whilst Hayley glared at us both.

"That was their way of telling you they'd like you to return home with us" Elijah told her before turning to us. "Perhaps try a different approach, with fewer references to murder?"

"As much as I would hate to throw you over my shoulder, and drag you kicking and screaming to the compound, we both know I will" He said shrugging.

"Why do you care so much?" She said staring at the two of us.

"Family binds" I said shrugging.

"You forgot one thing. You disowned the wolves." She said as she stormed away from us.

"Very heartfelt you two" Elijah told us.

"I blimming hate funerals." I said as I headed on after her.

"Try not to die!" Klaus called out as I walked away from him.

"What are we talking about?" I asked Hayley and Cami who were at the front of the procession talking.

"None of your business. It's about the wolves." She whipped away from me and back to Cami.

"Look, Hayley? I'm trying—mostly failing—to stay out of all this stuff, but... Francesca's a real bitch. So, yeah, if I hear anything, I'll let you know. "

"Thanks" Hayley told her. "And sorry about your uncle. Again."

"Can someone explain what's going on?" I said still coughing. "I'm sorry you feel that way Hayley; I am but—"

"I'm just gonna forgive you because you really do like you're gonna die." She said holding onto me.

"No, I'm fine" I assured her. "You and Cami keep talking."

"Are you sure?" Hayley said unsure.

"I'll even walk back to Klaus and Elijah." I continued.

"Okay" She said warily as I left the two. I started to cough again and feel incredibly unsteady. Knowing I wouldn't be able to get any further, I leaned against a light post and began to cough blood.

"Oh bollocks" I said feebly as I heard people screaming my name. "I tried not to die, however you didn't say to succeed." I mumbled as I saw Klaus pick me up and rush over to the compound. He laid me down on the table and I could hardly hear them. I could just about make out Hayley, Elijah and Klaus and even Genevieve.