coffee

Riley Matthews was standing behind the counter at her mothers bakery, Topangas. She had her usual late Thursday shift and was just about to head home to study for college when the bell dinged. Sighing she masked a big smile and watched the tall, tan man walk towards her.

'Hi, so sorry I saw you were about to close but I was wondering if I could have some water. My car has broken down and I'm gonna have to walk a little while home.' He breathed and Riley's heart panged at his voice.

'Don't worry it's not a problem I'll grab you some water. Is there anything I can do to help you with your car?' She questioned and his face fell a fraction before lifting back up again.

'Sadly no, the insurance company won't be here till tomorrow and I don't have enough money on me for a cab.' He sighed and she saw his jaw clench slightly.

'Where do you live.' She uttered without much thinking and the man was taken back by her question.

'Uhh Chelsea area. So very far from Greenwich.' He retorted and a small smirk lay on her face.

'Well lucky for you my best friend lives in Chelsea and I'm going to visit her. I'll give you a lift free of charge.' She offered and he went to decline but she stopped him.

'Nope you are getting in the car with me whether you like it or not.' She proclaimed and he relief over took his face.

'I'm Lucas.'

'I love it.' She muttered and instantly internally slapped herself.

'I mean I'm Riley, Riley Matthews. Now let's go cowboy.' She followed closely behind him out of the bakery quickly closing up and smiling to herself.

------------------
'Riley it's been two weeks since you've seen him and you still won't shut up. Why don't you just head to his house and knock on his door or something.' Maya complained and Riley rolled her eyes at her friends dramatic behaviour.

'Because Maya you don't just do that. It's weird. The universe will work it out.'

'Yeah well the universe is taking its time.' She bit back and Riley walked away from the orange couch and back to her station behind the counter.

Just as she got there a little girl with bouncing blonde locks ran into the café. She stopped when she saw Riley standing there working and gave her a wide smile which Riley returned.

'I'm tylah, I know it's a boy name but my daddy liked it.' She yelled and Riley smiled.

'I'm Riley, I know it's usually a boys name but my mummy and daddy like it.' She returned and the girl laughed.

'My mummy passed away when I was born. It's ok though cause I've gots daddy and now I'm a big 4 year old.' She beamed and Riley smiled at her happiness and innocence.

'Well where's daddy now.' Riley asked and the little girl pointed to the door, there walking in the bakery was Lucas, her Lucas.

'Hi Lucas, I got you a present her name is Tylah. ' she joked picking the little girl up and handed her to a slightly Confused.

'Daddy can I go look at her art.' Tylah asked and Lucas was about to decline when Riley stopped him and whispered to Maya to play nice. Lucas nodded his head at his daughter and she scurried off towards Maya and her art.

'Look Riley about not calling you. It's just always hard with a daughter and her mum and-' he was ranting but Riley put her finger to his lips.

'Hey Lucas don't worry. I get it.' She whispered and he breathed a sigh of relief.

'I don't think you do. I was wondering if you want to go on a date. I'm ready and I couldn't pass up a date with you.' He uttered and Riley pecked his cheek with a kiss.

'Anytime you want.'