Words

Riley finished typing her sentence and breathed a sigh of relief, she had finally finished her novel. Three years of sparingly working on it in between work and a social life and she had finally finished her legacy. She opened up her skype and called her best friend. Maya's blonde hair shone through the darkness of Riley's room. Maya smiled at first but after a second her brows creased in confusion.

'Riley are you a hobbit. You look like you haven't washed in weeks and your room is a mess. Your room is never a mess, Oh my god you must've finished your book. Riley this is so exciting. Have you sent it off yet?' Maya beamed excitedly, Riley's smile matched hers and she shook her head.

'No, She's referring me to this editor guy. I'm not sure about it though, what if I don't like him at all, what if he doesn't like my work. Maya what do I do.' Riley started hyperventilating.

'Ok Riley just calm down. Send off the last chapters, get some sleep and tomorrow I'll bring you some alcohol to celebrate tomorrow ok. Get some sleep right now.' Maya lectured and then shut off the video chat. 

Riley stared at the blank screen in front of her and dived into her bed taking her shirt and tracksuit pants off leaving her in her bra and underwear. She moved the covers slightly off her body the New York heat seeping through her room. And then she fell asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

'HELLO' Someone called out and Riley jolted awake. She groaned still feeling a little bit tired and disorientated, she had been awake for something like three days so that was justified. She slouched out of bed and made her way into the living room expecting to see Maya standing in front of her with a bottle of tequila, so you can imagine her surprise when she saw a man her age standing in front of her. Riley let out a blaring scream and realized that she was basically half naked in front of some stranger. She bolted back into her room and started dashing trying to find something to wear. She felt something cover around her body and wrapped it around her torso instantly. She took a large breathe and closed her eyes for a second trying to get back to reality. 

'Riley I am so sorry, I didn't mean to scare you.' The stranger whispered and Riley buttoned up his shirt to cover herself up a little more. She breathed in his scent and her brain went slightly crazy. Riley shook her head and tried to snap herself out of her trance.

'Wait I'm sorry, do I know you?' Riley questioned realizing he knew her name. 

'Oh right I'm sorry, I'm Lucas, I got sent over here by your publisher. She wants me to be your editor or something, she said she told you?' Lucas spoke and Riley shook her head moving over to the kitchen.

'I only just finished my book last night and I haven't slept in a while, plus I only just woke up so I didn't have time to look at my phone, coffee?' Riley asked and Lucas nodded his head.

'Well I could take a look at it' He groaned and Riley was a little confused. 

'Lucas can I ask you something.' She queered while pouring his coffee. 

'Yes of course.' He replied sipping his coffee.

'Why do you seem to really not want to edit my book?' She asked and laughed lightly. 

'Riley I'm sorry. I-I just don't really like this job, it has nothing to do with you or your book, or the fact that you looked incredibly good in my shirt right now.' He muttered not really thinking at all. Riley blushed slightly and looked down at  her coffee cup.

'What do you want to do then?' Riley asked curiously sitting down on the bar stool next to Lucas.

'Ahh it's silly and not well thought out, It could never work.' Lucas sighed fidgeting with his hands. Riley grabbed his hand in hers and inched closer.

'I won't judge.' She smiled and Lucas felt like he could tell her everything. 

'I want to open up a veterinary clinic, right here in New York city. I mean I'm originally from Texas where my dream stemmed. But 50% of small businesses fail and I need job security.' Lucas fumbled over his words instantly doubting every idea he'd ever had.

'I believe in you Lucas, I believe you can do anything you want to.' She stated still holding his hand. Lucas was about to reply when the door swung open and Maya jumped inside with a bottle of Vodka and Bailey's. She stepped back when she saw the position Riley and the strange boy was in. 

'Sorry, uhhhh I'll be back.' Maya backtracked but Lucas jumped up and moved towards the door. 

'Actually I should go. Thanks Riley.' Lucas waved and walked out.

'So I think I need to know what that was about it.' 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 Months Later.

Riley was walking down the street with her new puppy. She was a rescue from the nearby pound and a mix of lots of dogs. She was about four months old and had the biggest widest eyes. Riley was walking to the new vet she'd heard about the pound so she could get her puppy vaccinated. Riley hadn't given her puppy a name yet even though she'd had it for two days. She just couldn't think of anything that really suited the small puppy. She rounded the corner and saw the sign saying 'Family vet clinic'. She smiled at the cute store and walked in bells chiming behind her. A dark male man walked out and stood behind the reception desk.

'Hi I'm Zay, you must be Riley and this new puppy. The vet will be out in just a moment.'  Zay ordered and Riley smiled and sat down in the waiting area. The small puppy sat in Riley's lap while she watched TV. Suddenly the puppy jumped out of Riley's lap and ran over to the door that was swinging open. The vet who was holding a bouquet of Daisy's was attacked by the small puppy he placed the group of flowers on the ground and went to embrace the animal but it ran over to the yellow flowers on the ground. 

'You like daisy's.' The vet called and the small puppy started barking. Riley stood up and an idea came to her head.

'That's it Daisy it's perfect thank you doctor-' She was cut off when she caught a glimpse of the man she'd been fantasizing about for the past 8 months. 

'Riley.' He gasped and she giggled picking up Daisy and the Daisy's.

'Doctor Friar, I didn't know you had a vet business, I'm so proud of you.' She beamed and Lucas gave her a wide smile.

'I didn't know you were coming, I tried to get in contact with you-' 

'You want to go out this saturday?' Riley interrupted and Lucas nodded.

'I've been searching for you for eight months, and I haven't thought of anything but you. I think this will work.' Riley quoted and Lucas pulled her in for a long kiss.

'I've been looking for you to, and I know this will work. I would love to go out with you.' 

'I knew THis was the Riley you were talking about.' Zay called taking Daisy and walking into the back.