Love

'Love isn't something we invented it's observable and powerful, it has to mean something'

Riley looked across the room longingly. She didn't know how this always happened, every day, every damned day, she would be sitting there in her classroom with her heart content on focusing on the history lesson before her but somehow her mind always travelled to the boy sitting across from her. Her mind ran free with daydreams of all of the romantic tropes her heart desired. Sometimes they were running through rose fields, the grass itching their legs as the warm sun beamed down onto their skin causing his green eyes to shimmer. Sometimes he was holding her in the early morning, her head nestled into his shoulder feeling completely safe as their chests moved in sync with one another. Sometimes they were getting married, or naming there children, or meeting for the first time, or kissing in the rain. No matter what fantasy Riley played out in her head, it was always with him and it was always far better than the reality that laid before her, which was nothing but a severely average life filled with absolutely no romantic gestures. Riley constantly had to remind herself that everything she thought was in her head and that the real world just wasn't as romantic as she always wanted it to be. Despite this constant reassurance however, her mind always wondered, if it isn't real then why is love the topic of so many books and movies and magnificent stories. If others got to live these romantic moments , then really , why couldn't she?

The ringing of the school bell abruptly snapped her out of her thoughts, and she picked up her books practically running out of the class. Just as she was about to reach for the door handle she felt a large hand gently grab her shoulder causing her to whisk around to face the subject of her hearts desires.

'Hey', He beamed smiling brightly down at the awestruck girl in front of him.

'Oh hey Lucas, what's up?' She questioned bringing herself back into the reality of her life and out of her imagination.

'Well I just thought we could be partners on the project? The one that was just assigned on the history of love ?' He responded now cooly leaning back on one of the short tables. Riley mentally sighed, reprimanding herself for not paying better attention so she could've avoided doing this assignment with the one person who she really didn't want to do this project with.

'I mean sure- but wouldn't you rather be partners with Maya or something ?' Riley replied now insecure about having to discuss all of her favourite things about love with the person she wanted to be in love with.

'Nah, You love this kind of stuff haha, plus it'll be fun for us to hang out just the two of us' He smirked beginning to walk out of the classroom, ' I'll come to your house at about 5? See you Riles' He smiled now fading out of Rileys view. Riley now outwardly sighed to herself marching out of the room and walking out of the room and wondering if she was going to be able to do this.

---------------------------------

It was now quarter to five and Riley had set up her room ready for her study session. She was sprawled across mentally chastising herself for being so concerned about a project she should be excited about. It was practically made for her and she wondered if her dad had created it just so she got more involved in his class. She took a deep breathe and looked out her window, smiling to herself when she saw the roses that she had planted near her windowsill. She studied the features of the light pink rose and got lost in her thoughts about the beauty of roses and picturing herself sitting in a large rose garden on a stone bench, just lying there, the roses protecting her from reality. Once again a light tapping brought her out of her thoughts and she looked over to see the boy waving outside the window. She laughed a little to herself and ushered for him to come in through the window.

'Sorry, I didn't want to bother you, you looked content with your thought, but I felt a little creepy sitting there watching', he laughed as he made himself comfortable on her bed dropping his bag down next to her bed.