15: Stale Toast

That gif is perfect for this chapter fkdndks... anyways here's the chapter that took 5 years to write.

Chapter Fifteen
"Stale Toast"
--------------

I chewed my stale toast lazily as i gazed out the window, leaning against the kitchen counter.

It had been a few days since I had went out with Calum to the shelter, and a few days since Luke decided to put the moves on me.. or what ever that was.

I watched the runners and bikers make their way down the street in the early hours of the morning.

I loved the mornings, it was so peaceful and quiet. I loved watching the sun rise over the trees and high into the skies as the birds sang it a song of encouragement.

I also loved how it felt like you were the only one alive, because of the lack of lawnmower and car engines speeding by.

My thoughts were interrupted by the footsteps that made their way down the stairs. I turned my head to see my mom, in her robe and slippers. The ones I had gotten her for Christmas last year.

"I knew they'd look great on you, violet was always your color." I told her with a faint smile on my lips. My mom let out a simple, mhm, then opened the fridge and grabbing the milk.

"You can't stay mad at me forever mom, I am your daughter." I said with a frown on my face, she only rolled her eyes as she grabbed a glass cup from the cabinet.

"This is so childish, mom." I huffed as i angrily bit into my toast. With my words, my mom whipped around and gave me a deathly glare.

"You know what's childish, Ambrosia? Whats childish is that you can't listen to what I tell you, and stay away from one boy. Just one boy. There's a whole town of boys out there that you can be friends with. That's what's childish." She snapped at me before turning her should to me and pouring the milk into her cup.

"Mom, I don't care about all the other boys in town. I care about Calum. He's been there for me. He makes me feel beautiful and safe. He makes me feel wanted." I argued to her, with a small voice.

"I don't really care what you think about him, or what Luke thinks about him. Hell, I don't even care if grandma hates him. All that matters is that I like him." I told her, as she turned to me with an unreadable expression.

"Well aren't you going to say something?" I asked , furrowing my eyebrows with confusion.

"You really care about him?" She asked, her words coming about as a mere whisper.

"Yes mom, I do. I really do."

"I guess I was quick to judge this boy." She reasoned, slowly. "I shouldn't have taken Luke's word over my own daughter, you've never given me a reason for me to believe you'd lie."

"Thank you." I mumbled, before walking over to her and pulling her into a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too." She whispered into my hair, as she pulled me closer into her.

For the first time since we moved to this house, I felt safe. Safe in the arms of my mom.

"I'm happy we made up." She chuckled, as she gave me a light squeeze.

"Why is that?" I asked her as a lazy smile made its way to my lips.

"Because today we have to go check out the highschool, get you enrolled all that fun stuff." She told me. "It would have been awkward having to sit in a room together for an hour when we wanted to bite eachother heads off."