❤︎Chapter Ten❤︎

"Whoa! It looks even cuter than it did online!"

I had to take a moment to appreciate the exterior of my new home. Somehow, the light pink (nearly salmon) was chosen as the color, and it looked adorable all over. It made me excited knowing I was going to live somewhere like this..

Yuji's driver pulled up to the side of my apartment building and prepared to come and open the door to let me out.

"No need! I'm fine getting out on my own. Thank you so much, sir! Ah...should... I pay you?"

"That's alright, Miss!" He chuckles, "I get everything I need from being employed by Mr.Yuji."

Thank god. I don't have any money to give you anyway.

"I'll be going now!"

"I hope to drive you again soon, Miss."

Hopefully, seeing as how I might be working for Yuji, too!

🔑 I pull my apartment key out of my pocket first and start gathering my things. I step out of the car and give the driver one last small wave before closing the door back behind me. He pulls out of the parking lot slowly as I start to approach the building.

Once up the flight of stairs to floor 3 where my apartment was, I let out a sigh of relief when I see boxes stacked on top of each other in front of one of the doors. Heart pounding with excitement that the movers actually did their job and I could start moving in, I head eagerly over to the door the boxes were sitting in front of. Sure enough, the door was mine, and so were the boxes.

"Hm?" My attention is caught by a note on one of the boxes. I grab it and rip it from the cardboard surface before bringing it to my face.

"We're sorry! You weren't here to open the door when we arrived, so we will come back tomorrow at the same time to deliver your larger items. Call us at this number if you would like to reschedule."

🙃"Damn...I need to start being more punctual..."

Oh well! I'll unpack what I have.

••❤︎••

It takes quite a bit of time, but by nightfall I've settled into my apartment and unpacked everything in its rightful place. It was a fairly small apartment , so the large furniture would have surely made it cramped being brought all at once.

It was a one bathroom and one bedroom apartment, perfect for only me. I unpacked all of my wardrobe and organized them by piece. Once my dresser came, I could quickly place them in an orderly fashion. I lay out my futon in the very center and headed into the bathroom. Once my toiletries were divided in the right places, I do the same for the kitchen.

It was hard not to shed a tear while unpacking grandmother's kitchenware. The knives she used to chop up my favorite vegetables, the mixing spoons she made my favorite cakes with, the pots, the pans...

She left me her recipes. I'll have to make my own favorites now...

It was hard getting used to this fact, too. It wasn't that I couldn't cook or anything, it was that no matter how precisely I followed her recipe, I couldn't get the taste right.

I wasn't quite sure what to do about that, but for now, I loved just having the recipe book itself. Whenever I opened it and looked at her handwriting, it was so easy to picture her standing in the kitchen rubbing her fingers over the pages, reading over each step.

I miss you so much, Grandma...Mom. Dad. I miss all of you. You'll be watching over me, won't you?

After a snack, my body becomes so tired that I start to nod off sitting on the ground near the balcony door. I check my phone. It's 9:00.

Strange. It feels a lot later than that. Probably because of me moving...

"Oh no!" I slap my hand over my forehead and start laughing hysterically when I realize I hadn't seen my pajamas when I unpacked. Instead of putting them with the rest of my clothes, I packed them with my electronics when I ran out of space.

"My goodness I'm such an idiot. At least I don't live with anyone..because now I can do this!"

I stand up and start undressing right in the middle of my living room, stripping out of my dirty day clothes and stretching in my frilly underwear.

"Ah~! I feel so much better!"

I'm giggling as I skip half naked around my apartment, singing about how I was finally independent and had managed to go 20 years without killing myself (yet) from my stupid habits.

A few minutes after my dancing and singing, I'm lying under the blanket of my futon, looking at my cellphone. Yuji unexpectedly texted me from an unknown number, telling me to go to sleep and make it on time tomorrow.

"I won't hire a mediocre stylist! You better impress me! Now go to sleep, I know you're still up with no one to enforce a bedtime!"

I giggle as I lock my phone and push it away from me to roll over onto my belly. I have a very nice view of the moon from the window in my bedroom. As I'm being bathed by only the moonlight, I close my eyes and thank God that I had a place to rest my head tonight.

I made it. It was a start.

A very good one.

I couldn't wait for what more life had in store for me.