❤︎Chapter Thirty-Six❤︎

Yuji and I hurriedly left the subway station. It was awfully quiet there except for the occasional squeaking of the breaks on the train.

 It was awfully quiet there except for the occasional squeaking of the breaks on the train

Only a few people were there at this time of night. It made me smile to think Yuji and I probably looked like a young couple holding hands the way we were. From the moment he first took my hand to lead me, I started beaming at the idea.

Yuji began walking quickly and eagerly in anticipation of bringing me to our surprise destination. The faster he began to walk, the more excited I became. Being with him always put me in the best mood, I couldn't describe it. It was like sunshine at all hours of the day!

My heart was pounding against my rib cage with excitement. It was just me and him and the empty streets. The chilly night air brushing against our exposed skin. The thrill of being out late, feeling free to do whatever we wanted. We could go anywhere. Together. No one was here to stop us.

I'd never done this before. Especially with a friend. Growing up I had so many friends surrounding me, but I never had the enthralling connection with them that I had with Yuji. I never even believed this sort of connection was possible. To feel so close and so free with someone like you'd known them for years, yet there was still so much about them you had yet to figure out. It was invigorating.

We exited the subway and headed down a long, brightly lit empty street I'd never seen before. Looking at the street signs, I didn't recognize them, either. We must have been in a whole new part of town!

Funny, the trip didn't seem like it was that long...

"Where are you taking me?" I moved as fast as I could behind him, but his legs were so long and graceful and covered so much ground my clumsy self could barely keep up with his long strides

"Where are you taking me?" I moved as fast as I could behind him, but his legs were so long and graceful and covered so much ground my clumsy self could barely keep up with his long strides. When I didn't get a response, I sped up to glance around at Yuji's face. He had a mischievous smile curling around his lips and his eyes were flashing and narrowed. He had this expression on his face when he was getting something he wanted or when something was going exactly as he had planned. Yuji was so determined to hurry and get us there that I had to ask the question again.