chapter 23 | the comeback

" Why are you leaving me? "

" Because you keep using me for your own needs. I have feelings too! " 

" No one ever cared about your feelings. " 

" Hey, you're okay. If he hasn't called, he hasn't gone back to the room yet. " Mari noticed Alexis' face change while she was looking at the window. And she knew that she only did that when she was thinking about something. 

" I'm sure he'll understand. " She told Alexis as she drove her back from the airport. Alexis left so quickly, she didn't even have a chance to leave a note. She herself, didn't understand what she was doing. 

" Anthony's gonna be happy you're back. " She smiled. Alexis continued to look out of the window, not saying a word. She was worried for Noah. Or she was worried for herself. She wasn't sure. 

The drive was long, but it wasn't as dreadful as waiting for Noah to text or call her. She didn't even know what she would tell him. She was just thinking about how mad he would be. 

" Lexi, you're overthinking it. You did the right thing. You should be living for yourself, not for him. " Mari said, parking into work. Alexis looked at Mari and she realized she wasn't at home. " What are we doing here? "

" You have to change your mind. " Mari said, getting out of her car. Alexis did the same, walking towards her. " And bringing me to where Noah used to work was a good call? "

" Yes, cause you're gonna be shooting GameBang with us today. We're playing Spyfall with Shayne and you. Sohin got sick and what better than my own bestie to come play. " Alexis smiled sympathetically at her best friend, as a sort of thank you. 

They walked out of the elevator the oh-so familiar floor. They both walked towards Smosh Games' studio, but she stopped in front of Anthony's office. Mari nodded and left her there. Alexis knocked and soon, there was her big brother. 

He immediately pulled her into his arm, hugging her as tight as he could. " Don't ever leave me like that again. " He told her and she started crying. 

" Hey, hey, hey. What's wrong? " He pushed her away from his embrace to look at her. Her tears seemed to be unstoppable. She didn't know why she was crying. She felt stressed, but she also felt good to be home. 

" Did I make a mistake, not telling him ? " She asked Anthony. She sat down in the couch of his office, placing her phone on the table. He followed her, closing the door behind them. He proceeded to grab the tissue box and place it by her side, sitting as well. 

" Not telling him what? " He asked. 

" That I left. " She tried to sound convincing, but she wasn't doing a good job at it. " That you like him? " Anthony corrected her. She looked at him and she had an apologetic look on her face. He shook his head and chuckled. 

" You, out of all people, would never leave with a guy because he had a job else where, if you didn't like him. " He said understandably. " Also Mari was in the car with me while you were talking about coming home. " He added. 

" But Lexi, don't you see? You're losing your mind over a guy that just about to launch his acting career. This isn't good for you. Or your mental health. " He said, referencing to all of the past family therapy. 

When they had family therapy, the therapist always said that she should always talk about her feelings that she encounters with men, or else she would feel trapped. She would feel the memories of her father coming back to haunt her. 

" I don't want to like him. " She said softly. " You can't choose who you like, Lexi. " He chuckled, looking at his sister who seemed clearly upset. " Why don't you want to like him? "

" Because he doesn't like me back. " She said, sadly. " How do you know? " He asked her. She stared into the distance, remembering that evening. 

" He was talking to Keith, Monday night. " She pause, " I overheard him talk about a girl he met on set. " She sighed, " We were cuddling that night, and he would repeat himself that I was a great best friend. And that's when I thought if we are best friends,  best friends don't cuddle. Especially if he has someone.  " 

" Then forget him, Lexi. He's not worth it. " Anthony said. He didn't like the idea of his sister and Noah, but he came to terms with it when they were in New York. If she was happy, then he was happy. But he saw that he was causing her nothing but trouble. He then realized that, Noah wasn't the guy he came off to be. He was a little heartbreaker that one. 

" It's probably the best choice at this point. " She took a deep breath and stood up, getting herself cleaned up for the GameBang shoot. He stood up and gave her another hug. The door suddenly opened, and revealed Shayne. 

" Oh sorry. Ruining a cute family moment. " He said, proceeding to exit. " Shayne, come on in. It's fine. " Anthony said as Alexis tidied up a bit in the mirror behind the door. " I was just about to come get Alexis for the shoot, actually. Mari said you were here. "

And in that very moment that they were about to leave, her phone rang. They all looked at the table and the two boys looked directly back at her. She had a blank expression on her face. 

Incoming call from : Noah 😚