chapter 81 | the thud in the hallway

" Rosie, how are you doing this morning? " 

" My name is not Rosie, it's Emily! " She said for the fifth time today. The mother walked into her room, slamming the door open.

" It's not. It is Rosie. " She said, angrily. " You're gonna respect me. " 

" I do respect you. I've done nothing but do chores for you, and I learned things I didn't know of, " She paused, " You can respect me by at least calling me by my real name. " 

Emily talked back a lot to her new adoptive mother. Which was unacceptable to her.

" You talk to your peers with that mouth? " She yelled at the young one. " I did to you, didn't I ? " 

The mother raised her hand and boom. 

Emily found herself back into her old life, again. She wanted nothing more than to scream and cry. And she wanted Shayne to be here, to protect her.

But she had conditioned herself to be seem stronger on the outside than she was on the inside. And that's why she took it. She didn't say anything, she didn't flinch. She let it happen.

" You're grounded. You're not going outside for the weekend! " 

As if it mattered to Emily. She doesn't know anyone.

" You don't have a lunch? " Noah asked Courtney. 

" Nope, it's BBQ night at the Padillas, remember? " She said. " Oh, the invite I never got. "

" Come on, Anthony sent us all the email. " She looked into her mail app and pulled out the email about it. She looked for his email address and there it was. 

" See? " She pointed his name, " I'm assuming you have other plans and you won't come because it's your old house? " She air-quoted other plans.

" I just haven't been back in like 2-3 months. I can't go back. "

" Why not? We put all of that past us, you can come for the food and friends. " Courtney suggested. 

He thought. It had been a while since the whole office had an event where they could cool off and all laugh about none related work things.

" I'll just cancel my plans tonight. " Courtney grinned. " And bring your bathing suit. They have a new pool. " He nodded his head. 

" Also, why are we the only ones that get to work early? " Noah asked, changing subjects. 

" I'm just here cause Wes had an early call time and he's my lift, everyday. " She laughed. " Why is my call time earlier than the rest of the squad? " 

Courtney shrugged, " Beats me. Maybe you have scenes to retake? " 

If only he knew.

" You seem happy. " Anthony smiled as he finally see his sister outside of her bedroom. 

" ANTHONY, " She yelled, " I didn't know you were home. " 

He looked at her confused at why she just screamed his name. " You good? " 

She nodded her head quickly. " I thought you had left for work, already. " 

" I took the day off. I wanted to hang out with you. I haven't seen you in a few days, Lexi. " He smiled. She headed over towards him and gave him a hug from his chair. 

" Is that the real reason? " She laughed. It was a friday, beautiful sunny day out. She knew what it meant.

" It's barbecue season, plus with our new pool in the backyard, the members wanted a small party to cool off. " She got out of the hug, laughing, hitting him in the chest. " Actually thought you were serious for once. " 

" You get to help me with the preparations so in a way, I am hanging out with you. " He smiled cheekily. " I hate you. " She shook her head. 

" You love me! " He pulled her into another hug and she dashed away. 

" Using your little sister for work purposes and not even paying her. " She fake cried. " I'm a broke almost college student! " 

" Boo-hoo, you didn't even apply. " He laughed. She threw a cheerio at him that was on the counter. " You can't have a party here if you can't even clean up your breakfast. " She chuckled at her older brother. 

" If you throw it all around, I'm not cleaning it. You threw it, you clean it. " 

They heard a thud coming from the hallway. Anthony got into his protective brother mode and grabbed a knife that was nearby. Alexis knew it was just him. So she came up with a quick lie. 

" It's probably my phone, I left it on the edge of the stairs. It just vibrated, it's fine. " She positioned him to put the knife away. 

She walked back towards her room and shut the door, behind her. 

" Are you crazy? " She whispered. " I have to get to work! "

" Anthony is off today! I can't let you go out. " He put his head down in defeat. 

" If it helps, it's barbecue night and you're coming over later. " She shrugged. " Great, I get to be outside of your room. " 

" Hey. You love my room. " He walked towards her. She wrapped her hands around his neck, and smiled. " I do. " He put his hands on her waist. 

" But, I really have to get to work. " Alexis thought for a few seconds. 

How could she get him out without Anthony seeing him? 

" Anthony? " She yelled from her door, " There's still beer in the basement. Go get it and start putting it in the fridge for tonight! " He heard him walk away from the kitchen. 

" You're gonna go out by the backyard, now go! "She opened the door and they both started to run out. 

" Keith? "