chapter 25 | the orphanage

NEW BREAKOUT ACTOR? WAS A YOUTUBER ON SMOSH

NOAH GROSSMAN : NEW GIRLFRIEND ? 

FROM YOUTUBE TO THE BIG SCREENS - NOAH TELLS US ALL 

BREAKOUT MOVIE ACTOR " Smosh was great, but movies are better " 

" It looks like he was brainwashed. " Courtney threw the magazine into the recycling bin. " You would think we meant something him. " Olivia bashed on the news articles titles that she was reading from her Twitter timeline. 

" Who even does that? Smosh practically helped with career. " Shayne commented. They were all clearly upset that Noah just gave up and soon enough, the movie acting world affected their friendships. Except for Keith's. 

He didn't read the magazines, or the news articles on his timeline. He still talked to Noah on a daily and he couldn't see his change. 

" I'm actually glad that Alexis realized he wasn't worth wild before this. Do you imagine how much worse she could have gotten? " Olivia said, sitting into her chair at her desk. " She's been doing well, actually. " 

Shayne instantly regretting with what he said. All their heads turned to him, not so shocked but more intrigued.

" My, my. She has a charm on the Smosh boys. Keith, when is it your turn? " Courtney joked. " It's not like that. She needed help with science. " 

" Oh and since you have a science show, you thought you were the right fit to help her out? " Olivia mocked. They all laughed, Shayne rolled his eyes at them. " We're honestly just friends. " He said. 

And they were. Honestly, they didn't have that type of relationship that her and Noah had. He just caught her at a bad time in a bad place. Sort of. 

See, when she left from the night at the barbecue, Shayne followed her a few minutes after. He thought that she was gonna drive herself to New York, or to the airport to fly there. He drove behind her for about 25 minutes. He really thought she was going to the airport, since it was the next exit from where they were. 

Up until Alexis took the exit right before the airport. It brought them to a parking lot.

The parking lot of an orphanage? 

Yeap, the road took them to where Emily stayed at. He parked right beside her and startled her, once again. " Shayne, what are you doing here? Did you follow me? " He nodded his head slowly. I mean, why else would he be there?

" I thought you were gonna go to the airport to fly back to Noah, and I was gonna stop you. But we are obviously not at the airport. " He scratched the back of his neck. " I'm not going back to him. We're best friends and that's all I'll ever be with Noah. "

" Hey, you're aloud to like him, that's okay. " He told her, she put her head down, realizing she wasn't good at hiding her feelings. He chuckled at her, not knowing if he should leave her or ask if he could follow inside. 

Well, there was no more options available because he didn't even know how to get back so he had to ask her to stay. 

" You can meet my little sister. I'm not sure she'll be happy, but it would be different for a change of always seeing me. " They both walked in, Alexis stopping at the front desk to sign the visiting log.

" I thought she hated guys? " He asked her, as she handed him the log since he had to sign as well. " No, she hates Anthony. " She chuckled, " It's different. But, no promises that she won't think you're him. She hasn't seen him in a few years. "

Alexis walked him towards the room she would usually be in. Room 17, left east wing of the center. 

" Alex, you're here. Nice to see you again. " A senior nurse opened the door to her room. " And you have company. I'm Betty, Emily's nurse. " She smiled, shaking his hand. " I'm Shayne Topp, and um, Alexis' friend. " 

She looked at Alexis and whispered into her ear, " He is very handsome. A keeper, maybe. " Alexis laughed and rolled her eyes at Betty's jokes. She handed her Emily's chart, telling them she will be back after her lunch break. 

When Shayne walked in, he didn't expect to see what he saw.

The place looked like a mental institute. One window, one bed by the window and a table with paper but barely any more crayons left on it. It was so plain, it didn't feel homey. How did Emily live with this? 

" Emi ? " Alexis called out for her little sister. Shayne didn't realize that she was hiding under her bed. " Emi, why are you under there? It's dirty, remember? Yucky! " Emily soon came out from under bed, staying closely behind her sister. 

She was so petite, so tiny. She was an 8 year old, looking like she was about 5 years old. She was skinny and boney, but Shayne didn't say anything. He knew that it was probably due to their past. 

" He's mean, Alex. " Shayne thought it was weird that she called him Alex, since he was used to Lexi or Lex. But that was an Emily thing. " No, he's very nice. His name is Shayne. Can you say hi to Shayne, sweetie? " 

He crouched down her side and waved. She waved back, not saying a word. " Bare with me, she is shy and doesn't usually have a visitors. " 

" No, it's totally cool. She is a real cutie, though. " That made Emily giggle. 

Shayne watched from a distant as Alexis took care of her sister like it was her child. She had brought her clothes, she was teaching her some letters and they read books. She looked like Alexis had taken over the mother role in Emily's life, since she never had one. 

" Alex, Shayne. Visiting hour is over for the day, but you can come back sunday. " Betty came walking back in. He watched as they said goodbye, not ever wanting to let go. Betty had to do what she did all time, it was too literally rip them off each other. 

It was heart warming for him to see that, it almost made him cry cause it was so touching. 

After that, he followed her back to sort of barbecue party. Mostly everyone had left, beside Mari, Ian and Keith. They all hung out the night, Shayne feeling just a tad bit closer to her. He helped her with her homework and no one thought twice of it. 

" Shayne, " Anthony called from the door of their office area. " Sup? " He said, turning around from his computer. Anthony had a small grin on his face, wiggling his eyebrows as well. 

 " Lexi's in my office, she wanted to see you. "