The Job?

After we catch our breaths, James is the first to speak.

"So, I was wondering. Do you think I should get a job?" He asks turning his head towards me.

"Yeah! Is that what you want to do?"

"Well, I was just thinking about it, and I'm getting close to adulthood, and I feel as though I need to get a job to support my family." He says the last part smiling at me. My faces lights up. He sees a future with me. I feel the same, I just didn't think anyone would feel the same about me.

"Yeah. If that's what you want to do, I think that would suit you great." I say towards him.

"I think so too." We stand up and walk upstairs with Violet. Violet walks to her room as James and I walked to our room.

"Hey we still have to finish our homework." I say towards him.

"Noooo..." James says whining. I look at him.

"Stop being childish. We need to finish it James...you want to graduate don't you?" I ask him. He nods and heads downstairs. I suppose he is getting our unfinished homework. I fix the sheets on the bed and spread it smoothly. I walk around the bed and sit down on the spot I usually lay at during the night. James walks in with 4 text books and 4 folders with papers and pencils. I laugh at the sight as he is trying not the drop anything. I get up and hurry over to him catching the stuff before it falls to the ground. We sit the books, folders, papers and pencils on the bed. We sit around all the homework and look at each other. We both sigh.

"Alright which subject first?" I ask him.

"Let's do first period, that way if we don't finish, then we can do the other periods during school...or even at lunch."

"Okay." I say grabbing my first period folder and textbook.

"Alright. First question. 'What does x mean in the equation?'" I say reading aloud. James looks at me with a raised eyebrow.

"X is cross" he sarcastically states.

"No X is 7...because you would subtract that number" I say pointing towards the number..."then multiply by this number" I say pointing again..."and you would divide by the first number, and that's how you get 7." I say proudly. James looks at me and back down towards his paper. There was a few seconds of silence.

"What?" He asked me. I sighed and knew math would take awhile.

      James and I finish all of our homework and lay back on the bed on our backs.

"That was crazy homework." He says.

"I know right." I say huffing.

"But we did it..." I truthfully state. He nods and we sit back up putting our homework in one big stack and we carry it back downstairs.

"What job are you taking interest in?" I ask him. He looks at me smiling.

"Well I was thinking...maybe for a first time job...well I don't know yet to be honest..." he says nervously.

"Well how about working at Walgreens?" I ask him. He looks at me.

"I didn't think about Walgreens..."

"Well they are hiring, and it's right down the street." I say to him.

"Your right. I want to be as close to you as I can. I'm going for Walgreens."

"Awe. Only if you want to." I say to him shyly. He nods. We set down all the homework on the couch and head back up stairs.

"Well...how about we take off school tomorrow that way you can get an application?" I ask him.

"Sure. We can do that." He says. I nod. We get to our room and sit on the bed. We both fell asleep in our day clothes laying on top of the covers...I guess because of all the homework.

      The next morning we woke up around 10 in the morning. We got dressed and walked over to Walgreens. We walked to get fresh air and to 'wake up' from our sleep completely. We get to Walgreens and walk inside.

"Hello welcome to Walgreens." A man in his 30's said to us. I nod at him and follow James towards the back counter.

"Hello. Do you have any applications I can fill out? I'm looking for a job, and I saw that you guys were hiring." The older man looks at James and hands him a stapled paper to fill out.

"Thanks" James says as he takes the paper from the man and sits filling it out.

"Do I have heart problems?" He asks himself.

"No." I say answering it for him. He looks at me. I smile.

"Okay...cancer background?" He asks himself again a little quieter but I could still hear him.

"Nope" he looks at me again.

"Any type of allergies?" He asks...again...to himself, but I still answered.

"No." I say picking up a magazine.

"How do you know so much about me?" He asks. I look at him and raise my left eyebrow.

"I'm your girlfriend...I pick up on those kind of things.." I say smiling flipping the page in the magazine.

"Well...I guess that's true." He says looking back at his paper.

"Alright I'm done." He stands up and hands the older man the paper.

"Alright thank you. We will call you either later today or tomorrow." The older man said. James nods and smiles.

"Thanks again." James says as he grabs my hand and walks through Walgreens and out the doors. We walk back home, get to the house and walk inside. Then we hang with Kim and Violet for awhile. Violet doesn't have Kindergarten on Fridays. We all talk with each other and eat lunch together. We finish up and watch a few movies. One of them included 'Tangled' which was Violets pick. James chose 'Avengers' which to my surprise, I liked. We finish our movies and James and I head up to our room.

*RINGGGGGGG

I look over at James. He races over to his phone and picks it up.

"Hello?" He asks.

"Yeah..."

"Really?"

"Oh..yeah...okay..."

"Well...thanks..." James says into the phone. He hangs it up and looks at me.

"I GOT THE JOB!" He yells running towards me.

"Oh my goodness!! Congratulations!! I'm so proud!" I say loudly towards him. He runs to me and hugs me. He runs downstairs with me behind him.

"MOM! I GOT THE JOB!!" James yells. There was a huge gasp coming from the kitchen. We turn the corner to look and Kim is running towards James with her arms wide open.

"That's great sweetie!! I'm so happy and proud of you!!! You deserve it!!" She says loudly hugging James. James is so happy. It makes me instantly smile when he is happy.