Ch. 9 After All

~~~

Kay'ari's POV

Location: Nevada, on the road

Date: 3 years, and 1 month after The Kidnappings

~~~

Driving this fast, 124 miles per hour to be exact, with cars still on the road would have been a nightmare. 

As it is, no one is on the road and the only issue I'm facing is Roman's taste in music.

"Roman, this song sucks," I complain, for what feels like the millionth time. It's a jazzy number that does nothing for my concentration, and he knows it. Roman likes to get on my nerves to ease his own and it gets a million times worse when Cyan isn't around to soften his anxiety.

"Concentrate more on not hitting anything and less on your inability to appreciate good music." Roman smirks over at me and I smirk back before jerking the wheel so he smacks his big dumb head against the window.

I let out a laugh as he punches my arm, gently as if he doesn't want to risk me crashing us into a poll or building or cactus.

The police cars behind us are about a mile back, and closer than I'm comfortable with so I step on the gas a little harder and we zip around a corner on two wheels. This car chase thing is a hoot, no wonder people like video games.

All my fun is ruined when a soft noise pierces the mood.

The burner phone I have for emergencies ends our comfortable silence, the beep incessant and the gentle vibration grating.

 My heart starts to thump uncomfortably. 

Emergencies are not welcome right now.

I still have another 5 minutes before we hit the Dollhouse and we have to do our thing. 

Then, if the pressure of fucking up the horror house isn't enough, I needed to lead some of the police behind me to the Playhouse.

The Playhouse already should be covered, but it couldn't hurt for there to be a little more coverage. 

Like I'd told Leninora, there's no telling what the guards who aren't gassed will do when they realize they're going to be caught. I wouldn't put it pass any of them to use my children if they feel cornered. 

I've got a small window to talk someone into believing the crazy truth and an even smaller window to get all the way across town to get to the kids and keep them together and safe. 

I quickly think of a fun way to answer the phone, the way Cyan prefers in such a tense moments. I smirk as I think of one that would be sure to make her laugh,

"Vegas City Crematorium, you ghost em, we roast em. How can we help you today?" Roman laughs and I do too. Ugh, that's a good one.

My laughter is cut off by someone with a much louder voice than Cyan and someone way older than Leninora,"Is this Kay?"

  My heart drops and I glance over at Roman, who gives me a dark look. I raise my eyebrow in question, and he shakes his head. Not anyone he knows either.

"Nope, this is Vegas City Crematorium. Wrong number." I snap the phone shut, hanging up quickly.

"Kay, what if that was important?" Roman asks, but I'm shaking my head before he can even finish 'Kay'.