Ch. 13 Complications

~~~

Kay'ari/Kayli's POV

Location: Undisclosed Hospital, Nevada

Date: Night of The Escape

~~~

"Someone was creeping around the hallway outside Cyan's hospital room earlier." Leninora's voice penetrates my dozing state, and I jerk to attention.

I blink hard, and look over at Len, where she's seated at the desk with the computer. 

The woman who introduced herself as Loretta Lockheart is standing behind her, and running a thin-toothed comb through Len's hair. 

It really doesn't seem like the time for pampering, but I assume there is another reason for it. In fact, something about it resonates with me. 

"Was it a reporter? Or someone more suspicious? I ask.  

"It was a young guy, in jeans and a hoodie; he didn't look like a reporter. Too young to be given a lead this big, and he didn't have a camera. He looked like he recognized me, but he also looked like he wanted to beat the shit out of me. Not exactly the type of reaction I'm use to getting from paparazzi or reporters." Len shrugs.

I sigh and crack my neck. The weird position left a kink.

"So someone more suspicious. It could have just been a curious patient or something? You told us you weren't too popular with the public. Maybe he just isn't a fan?" 

Leninora shakes her head, "Kid wasn't wearing a hospital band, and I'm basically irrelevant now. Someone his age wouldn't know who I am." Len focuses back on the computer, and goes back to typing. 

She seems so intense, and it's so different then what I'm used to. She's usually so fucking relaxed. This is so weird. 

"This kid looked like he had a legitimate reason for hating me though. Something personal." She sighs and waves her hand in the air, cutting off that part of the conversation.

"Either way, I went to go and confront him but the doctor that was looking over Cyan came out. It was so weird, they just glanced at each other, and the boy walked away like he wasn't just prowling around like an angry bear, and the Doctor walked off." Leninora flares her hand, and mimes them walking away with her fingers.

"Was the doctor the older one? White hair, glasses... Dr. Robert or whatever?" I ask

Leninora nods slowly and I grimace.

"He came and did my examination too. He kept asking a lot of weird questions though, like if I was sure my name was Kay'ari and if Savage was a gang name. Things like that. I told him it was just what I was called, but he just wouldn't let up. He asked about my scars, my connection to the Lockheart family."

I look down at Cyan, and the anger that had rose up earlier during his questioning makes a reappearance.

"I stopped answering questions when he asked about Cyan, and if I knew her real name. I refused to speak at all when he started to talk and ask about the kids."

I glance up at Leninora and meet her eyes. 

I try to convey the emotions that rage inside of me. 

I don't like that the doctor already knew my kids names, and about their home-life situations'. 

He had been so nonchalant about what he knew. It was clear that he was fishing about what I knew, but it makes me sick to think that someone would know that information and not be disgusted.