Ch. 34 Tails, Trails, Din, and Babel

Second part of the update! You can thank antebellum2097 for this double update 😁😊😗

~~~

Gabriel's POV

Location: Bureau of Investigation, Sacramento

Date: November 1st, Mid-Morning

~~~

"I don't think this is a good idea, Gabriel." Luke whines at me. I ignore him; I don't have time for his whiny objections. We've got a girlfriend to save.

I am so sick of waiting around. Blackbourne and the rest of them can sit in that house with their thumbs up their asses, but I won't. I can't. I've waited all I can, and now I'm done. Now it's time for action.

We walk though the hallways with swift purposeful gaits and our heads held high as we avoid eye contact with every person we meet along the way to our destination. No one looks at us too long: I made sure our suits weren't too nice or too drab. We look normal. Like we belong.

The rooms all look the same, but I've already spent 4 favors and a few thousand dollars on finding out where we need to go to find our target. This was an expensive bit of information, but if everything goes as planned the pay off will be worth it.

There is no price too great, and no amount of money I wouldn't pay, to have Sang back with us again. With me again.

The number plaques next to the doors start to encroach near the hundred mark and I have to check my pace to make sure I don't look too eager. It's one thing to look purposeful, and a whole other to appear frantic.

"Really," Luke tries again. "I don't think this is the right way. We should have at least waited to see what the other guys come up with. This might not work."

"It'll work. It has to." I say simply. The numbers finally hit 100.

We come up to room 102 and I take a deep breath. I knock once, three times, and then four times.

The door opens immediately. A round head pokes out and a dreary face with small dark eyes takes in our stance in front of the door. He opens the door further and we slip in.

Heavy cigarette smoke pervades the air and I cough as the cloying smog immediately tries to permeate my lungs.

"Make it quick. They'll be sending someone to cover my shift soon." The man tells us, before opening the door and rushing out of it like a bat out of hell. He's told us everything we need to know already, so I don't try and stop him.

I turn my attention back to the demon woman perched on a metal table centered in front of Luke and I.

Leninora Lockheart smiles happily at me, a box of donuts in her lap and a fucking cigarette balanced between her lips. She waves at me flippantly with a donut, "Hey, kid! What are you doing here?"

I stand dumbstruck for a moment. I thought they would have her handcuffed...or something. I wasn't expecting her to be as...unrestricted as she is. For some reason, it knocks me off guard....

I try and shake it off, literally shaking my head and running my hands through my hair before I address her. "Shut up, and listen." I tell her, trying my damnest to stay unaffected by her mannerisms.

"I want to make a deal." I tell her. I lift my chin and stare right in to her eyes. I need her to see I'm serious.

She stares at me as she seemingly takes the longest drag of her life from the cigarette in her mouth. She does it for so long that smoke starts to drift from her nose, and I want to rip the cancer stick from her lips and stick the lit end into her eye.