Ch. 22 Giants, Goggles, and Dancing Figures

~~~

Kay'ari's/Kayli's POV

Location: Diana Tower

Date: October

~~~

I thank my luck stars that Cyan and I spent so much time running around during our camping escapade as I run down the long rows of cages. I also thank Leninora's unrealistic expectations during her 'training simulations' as I run down idiots along my path.

When the earpiece stopped working my anxiety had jumped through the roof, and I nearly stopped to wait for it to turn back on but it was too late at that point. One of the other guards had seen me take out the one guy with my favorite move and I'd had to take him out too.

After that, it was just better to keep going. My adrenaline was pumping, my mask gave me the ability to see in the dark, and it was pretty much a straight shot to Sonny and Rhonda.

The closer I get, the more people I run into. Without Cyan's navigation I have to improvise the best I can, but with the lights out I'm doing just fine on my own. None of the guards seem to understand what's going on, and they flail around in the dark like flies, making it easy to run around them.

  I'm just breaching touchdown and getting ready to sneak into the security holding area when I run right into a big meaty fist.

Pain rattles my brain, and my head smacks the ground with a resounding thunk. The glass on one of my goggles breaks and I curse as the night vision feature cuts out.

I blindly put a palm over it, and a hard boot falls down on first my arm and then my stomach.

"Fuck', I shriek as the pain breaks through the adrenaline rush. His arm swings back, but I strike first with my own booted feet, aiming for the man's knees.

He's the one to shout this time, my well placed kick hopefully screwing up his kneecap.

I jump up, whirling around to make sure I'm not going to run into anymore jerks.

The broken goggle leaves me completely blind on that side, but the other side still functions enough for me to get a good look around.

No one else is nearby, thankfully they're all aggregated around the security holding area, and I look down to realize the only reason he could see me is because the guy is wearing a pair of night-vision goggles.  

 I rip it off him, and toss it as far away from him and anyone else as I can before jumping up and making a beeline around the guards, sneaking close to the hulking mass of muscle and badly made puns that I call Sonny.

He looks a little worse for wear, a ball gag fitted over his mouth and arms bound to the walls behind him giving him a feral look. It shouldn't surprise me, considering I'd seen him like this plenty of times before but this is just wrong. 

Sonny is the sweetest man I know, and while he might be made of muscle he's a huge softie at heart and here he is being treated like a dangerous animal. Like a dog.

I put a soft palm on his knee, about to quietly tell him it's me....

And just like that my luck finally runs out.

~~~

North's POV

~~~

My head pounds, the beat of my heart resounding painfully around the bullet wound in my arm.

It hadn't hurt this much earlier, when the adrenaline and anger was pumping through my blood but now the unknown situation is getting to me...the fear taking over.