Ch. 41 Savage Baby Bears

~~~

Luke's POV

Location: Lockheart Estate
Date: November 1st
~~~

I expected a lot of things walking into the Lockheart Estate. I mean, the exterior gave me such high hopes. I expected high ceilings, marble floors, old paintings, one-of-a-kind hand-crafted furniture....you know, old money stuff.

And I got all those things, mostly: the ceilings are high, the floors are indeed polished marble. I wouldn't know the difference between a new painting and an old painting, but what I see fits into the old-money category by my standards.

I take in what appears to be the front parlor with amazement. The main feature of the room is one huge arched tunnel looking thing set into the wall on the far side of the room, that's book-ended by two staircases leading up to a second level. Through the arched tunnel-way is an ancient looking wooden door.

More importantly than the pretty interior, I also take in a yelling, frenzied Toma Team holding onto a ragtag group of kids, a wild-eyed Raven and a growling little girl, clamped to Raven's arm by her teeth.

The little girl is muttering something, and tearing at Raven with vicious jerks of her head. Blood is already streaked down her face, flowing along the sides of her mouth and pooling onto the light-colored dress she's wearing.

"Thank goodness." Corey barrels toward us and he grabs onto Sang. "It was an accident. The other guys had just gotten back and a door slammed and Raven woke up. He didn't mean to hurt her, I swear."

Sang's eyes are watery, and she's making these soft convulsive coughing noises. Corey doesn't seem to notice though as he tries to pull her toward Raven and the little girl.

Sean intercedes, putting his arm around Sang and shoving Corey's hand away from her. "She needs to get some water and I need to look over what's causing her to have this fit. Get Raven to calm down while I take care of her. We'll come back when she's settled down."

"I've tried," Corey puts both hands up and dodges Sean's attempts to shuffle Sang around Corey and the group. "But he's not listening. He's completely ignoring me, and he won't let anyone get close enough to pry her off. I need Sang to talk to her."

"Well, Sang needs some water." I point out as I bump Corey, which gives Sean enough time to lead Sang away, off toward and then through the doors that apparently leads deeper into the huge building.

Corey makes off like he's going to follow them, probably to continue badgering Sang until she does something about the little girl so I grab Corey's arm.

"Let her get some water, and give Sean some time to look her over." I demand. Corey gives me a scalding look, and jerks his arm away from me.

"She's digging her teeth into his arm and he's losing blood. He's already lost so much blood today." Corey grits his teeth and glances over at the little girl and Raven, both of which are glaring at each other.

I consider the two of them, noting that the little girl looks a little wild around the edges, but not overly so. She doesn't seem afraid or out of her mind with some unknown emotion. She looks pissed.

"Have you just asked her to let go?" I ask.

"Of course. We all have." Corey glares at me. It's starting to get harder to pick out which Henshaw twin is which. Corey used to be the calm one, the one who could stay lighthearted no matter the situation.

Now, Corey doesn't look calm, and this doesn't even seem to be too bad of a situation.
Raven is a big guy. He's a little pale, and the tightness around his eyes relays the pain he's in but he is steady on his feet.