Ch. 40 Bleak Night and Technicolor Day

~~~

North's POV

Location: Lockheart Estate

Date: November 1st

~~~

If I wasn't so irritated and pissed with the plans Leninora has set at our feet, I'd be impressed.

The Lockheart Estate looks like something out a European fairy tale. My mother's stories from when I was a child come to mind as I jump out of the armored vehicle we've been riding in and I get a good look at my surroundings. 

I note first that there are four separate roads that lead right up to the circular driveway of a sprawling glass and brick building.   

Naturally my eyes are next drawn to the few dozen ivy-covered stone houses lined down the narrow paved road that we just came from. Some are on the rough side. Some look well kept. Some even look like they've been recently remodeled.

Silas and I have spent a lot of time helping fix up old houses to pass the time by. A small part of me is looking forward to looking around and seeing the inside of those old relics. 

Each road branches off in different directions, and as far as I can see there are just more English-village-inspired houses along the roads, and a smattering of hedged gardens, and shimmering water features strategically placed to be the centerpieces of the grounds.

Tree's that look thousands of years old are also scattered around the landscaping, creating shade for the manicured lawns. It should be eerie, but instead it has this welcoming aura. It's as if the laughter that has filled this place is still ringing out, filling the still air in the midday light. 

Even with the beautiful scenery, my shit mood is still running high. I try my best to tamper it down though.

I've let my anger control me for a long time, and contrary to popular opinion I have been working on it. It's just that my old friends bring out that youthful side of me, and I'm helpless to hold back my true opinions in the face of their familiarity.

It doesn't help when Leninora is doing everything in her power to be a fucking dick. 

 I turn around, remembering my reasoning for rushing to get out of the vehicle and lift my arms up just as Sang appears at the threshold of the wide back door.

Her bright eyes meet mine, and her plush mouth turns up in a smile. If I were a lesser man, I'd admit that my heart gives a little throb at the expression.
She allows me to place my hands on her hips, and I help her down the steep drop as gently as I can. 

When her feet touch the ground, she immediately steps away from me to survey the area.
My hands tingle a little as she slips from my grasp.
"It's so pretty." She says to me, as she too gazes around us.
I nod, even as I turn back to the doorway of the vehicle and give a helping hand to Luke and Dr. Green. 

Both let me help, even if it is perfectly within their ability to hop down on their own.
I appreciate them humoring me; it would kill me if either of them shattered a knee cap from jumping the admittedly short distance to the ground. The likelihood of it happening is slim to none but still. It could happen.