Ch. 23 Dark Deceptive Descent

~~~

Owen Blackbourne's POV

Location: Diana Tower

Date: October

~~~

"Well if it isn't Little Pink Pearl." A sneering, snide voice fills the room.

 Rudolph is the one to finally address the silent specter perched on the desk. The sound of his voice startles me, but it's his fist knocking me to the ground that throws me out of the surprised trance at her sudden appearance.

I pick myself up, teeth clenched as my broken nose pulses in time with my most-likely bruised jaw and most-definitely bruised wrist.

All of that fades into the background when I realize I'm close enough to her that I can see the dark brown liner framing her big green eyes, and the nearly invisible wiring snaking it's way up her legs, disappearing under the bloody red fabric of her dress.

Her hair is an array of soft curls, something Gabriel had never done for her when she'd been with us but the color is exactly as I remember it. Her face is fuller, her cheeks not so hollow and her curves are more filled out. She looks like a woman, albeit a short and petite one. The darkness in her eyes however are darker than ever, and instead of the shy sweetness I'd come to love years ago I detect only a sharp intelligence in her that is at war with her innocent expression.

Movement in the corner of my eye gives me just enough time to look over as Rudolph's well placed kick throws me down to the ground again. I groan as a rib is displaced and the horrible pain keeps me down, although I wouldn't be able to move anyway as Rudolph holds me down with a foot.

Rudolph Bernard had been someone I'd spent a few missions shadowing and collecting information on but I'd never imagined he was working with Dontavion Mav; I'd always assumed he was the boss of his own smuggling operation. The thought that I'd missed such a vital connection, one that could have brought us to Ms. Sorenson sooner, made me sick in disgust.

How could I have missed this connection?

"Where have you been, Dontavion is going mad not knowing where that Savage bitch took you off to." Rudolph speaks to Sang like someone would talk to a small child. She cocks her head to the side, but Rudolph continues like he doesn't expect an answer from her.

"How did you get in here anyways, the building-"

"I heard an interesting rumor once, when I was accompanying Dontavion to one of your meetings." Her voice fills the room, sweet and innocent-like, cutting off Rudolph's words. The sound of it crushes something in my chest, because the sound is whisper quiet and painfully raspy. I'd read about Rodney crushing her throat, leaving her nearly mute but hearing it in person is different. More real.

Rudolph waits a moment, like he's thrown off by her odd comment.

"And what is that, Little Pearl?" Rudolph asks hesitantly, and presses the heel of his shoe against the rib currently digging itself into my organs. I hiss a harsh breath, and immediately regret it as I feel the inflation of my lung cause the rib to nearly puncture it.

Ms. Sorenson looks down at me and despite the situation we've all found ourselves in, I take a good long look at her. I take in how much better she looks now compared to back when we had her with us. And even though I know what she's been through, the hell she's experienced, I can't help but wonder if she's better off without us. Even a kidnapper was capable of taking better care of her than we did.