Ch. 47 Plots on Plots on Plots

~~~

Lucian's POV

Location: Lockheart Estate

Date: End of November

~~~

There comes a time in every man's life where he has to decide whether he's the man holding the crying girl, or the guy awkwardly patting her back. 

Or the one running in the other direction, but no one cares about those guys.

While I like to think in any other situation I'd be the guy picking up the crying girl and holding her tight to my heart, Sean seems to have taken up that mantle this time.

Sang's tears are like crystal-clear spikes through my chest, and the little sniffles are the sounds of hell on earth. I can't imagine how she would feel sobbing against me like that. I feel like crying just sitting next to her.

Sean though, he's cool as a cucumber, whispering something that seems to be calming her, because her sobs aren't quite as frenzied as they were before.

I keep stroking my hand down her back, trying to help in any way I can.

"Let's get her inside." Sean finally says to me. He stands up with her in his arms, quite possibly the most athletic thing he's done in years. She looks tiny with Sean's arms hooked under her thin legs and around her frail back. 

It looks like a stiff wind could knock her over. I follow them inside wondering if she's been eating right and even though I promised myself I'd avoid the heck out of North, I make a mental note to track him down and give him a piece of my mind. He's supposed to be the responsible one. But somehow, like I'd fallen into an alternate dimension, I find myself being the one to make all the adult decisions lately.

I'm the one who just expanded my business. I'm the one who just got my apartment packed and then unpacked at our new place in less than 14 days. I'm the one dealing with a neurotic best friend, while simultaneously keeping my head above water.

Gabriel is looking at new sites to set up a second bakery and even though it's my dream I'm feeling the littlest bit of dread. Gabriel's been....intense lately. Like more so than normal. I'm worried he's going to wear himself out.

When I met up with Gabriel at the airport he'd been on my ass like grass for descriptions of everything. Not just about Sang, but he wanted to know about the guys; who seemed the most likely to throw our plans off, who looked the most interested in getting back together with Sang...The questions were never-ending and it got old fast. 

The energetic edge Gabriel took on has been helpful if draining to keep up with. Our apartment took like a day and a half for us to pack. It was pretty entertaining to watch, him just tearing through our stuff, tossing things left and right into boxes and bags.

The only reason I stayed away for so long was because Gabriel and I had to really narrow down our options as far as who we're willing to work with and how far we're going to take our attempts at getting Sang back. We're not exactly on the same page, but I couldn't stand to keep talking around each other anymore.

Gabriel is having a hard time trusting Leninora. For some reason, he's got it into his head that she's keeping Sang from remembering us, but I think he's just being paranoid. Leninora is more a danger to herself than anything and I think the only reason Sang might not be getting her memories back is that she doesn't want them back. But that's just me speculating.

North and Silas are the ones I've been telling him we need to watch out for. If North catches wind of what we plan to do, Leninora's insanity will be the least of our troubles. And just because Silas has been quiet lately, doesn't mean he's any less fearsome.