Ch. 21 Cacophony and Silence

~~~

Cyan/Sang's POV

Location: Diana Tower

Date: October

~~~

I don't bother ducking out of sight as Leninora prepares herself to leave the room. No one will see me, even with the double doors wide open, leaving an unobstructed view of the room to those out in the hallway.

My new boots, connected to the MHQ, work like a mirror, or a window; they take an image of the room and project it back around the wearer, creating the illusion of invisibility. It's a smaller scale of one of Rhonda's inventions, with a few adjustments. Rhonda had told me once that the hardest part was keeping the image up in real time when the wearer is walking around. I'd made some suggestions and after bouncing ideas off one another we designed something together. 

That's how the idea of the MHQ was born.

It does a lot of things, our Mobile Head-Quarters technology, a good portion of it defying what a lot of people could comprehend but it's coolest use is keeping me connected to anything even remotely electronic. 

Even the smallest things, like the circuits that work the lights are under my control. The only downside to it is that I have to be within a certain perimeter of what I want to control, which is why I'm standing directly in what I assume is the CEO's or even the head of security's office instead of skulking around inside a more secure area.

This room has the best connection to the building's mainframe, which I've already accessed and began the process of uploading as much security footage and digital information as I could find. Now it's just a matter of waiting for the information to completely download, and using the security feeds to watch over Kay'ari as she physically searches for Maria, Sonny and Rhonda.

With that thought at the foremost front of my mind, I slink back to the desk and crawl back on top. I shove my headset back on and let Kay know I'm back online for her.

"I'm nearing The Giant and Ronny, passing loading bay 4 now. It looks like their auctioning off a bunch of cage fighters. They've got rows and rows of cattle cages down here, all empty so far. You got an eye on this? Let me know if I'm going to run into-"

Len rushes out of the room and the cacophony of noise that follows drown out the rest of what Kay'ari is asking for. 

It's not hard to assume what she needs, so after a few seconds I have a tiny window open in the corner that is following Kay and a few dozen other ones with various views of her general area.

Outside the room, the shouting reaches an un-ignoble level and I look up to watch a mass of bodies struggling with one another and more shouting out of sight followed shortly by the loud sharp sound of gunfire. A few voices sound familiar, one of them resonating with me in the worst way.

Nausea quickly has bile burning my throat and I quickly swallow a few times before I throw up all over the laptop. Memories of his hands in my hair and harsh grip on my hips roll over me. Rudolph is a vile man, one of the worst men that Dontavion had ever brought into my life in the more intimate settings of our relationship.

"One." I take a deep breath. I think of Kay, running into danger because I'm stuck reliving awful things in my head. I force my gaze back to the little window where Kay is running in the shadows. I make sure she's safe.