Ch. 14 The Beginning of a Rivalry

~~~

Owen's POV 

Location: Multiple Locations

Date: Day of The Escape

~~~

I had a hard time keeping my eye on the road as I was also attempting to burn holes into the van that had Ms. Sorenson in it.

Leninora Lockheart was a dead woman when I got my hands on her.

Mr. Coleman is having a panic attack next to me, but I have no idea how to help him right now. 

The only thing I can do is assure him everything will be fine, over and over again, and keep us within sight of the ambulance van and the entourage keeping them separate from the rest of traffic.

There was no reason for Leninora Lockheart to run off like that, especially seeing how distraught we clearly were over seeing Ms. Sorenson. 

She had to have seen us, and the only reason I can imagine she took off so quickly was because Ms. Sorenson had told her about us. Ms. Sorenson must feel like we let her down, and wants nothing to do with us. 

I don't blame her.

I spent nearly every waking moment pouring over the information Mr. Ravenstahl had procured for us, but it just wasn't enough. We weren't enough.

We all worked separately to get as many different view points on the case as possible, and we met up a few times each month to go over leads, but there were too many that didn't lead anywhere. Not to mention, there wasn't much information about where the Mav family would hide so many people. 

This was just as bad for us as when she disappeared. The hope that the Axel team brought to us fostered a sense of camaraderie, and it was a one that lasted barely a few days. I think we've fought more over these past weeks then we did right before we split up.

I hate to say it, but I sense more fights in the near future. 

We've been working off a theory, my theory in fact, that the Mav's were holding the captives on one large property in the middle of nowhere; it had turned out to be several large properties, each within an established upper-middle class community. 

I was wrong. 

It seems like it wouldn't have mattered anyways, the victims have somehow found a way to save themselves, and now Ms. Sorenson will never return to us. 

Or wouldn't, if I didn't get to her and beg forgiveness for not looking hard enough. For not continuing to look, after her house went up in flames, even when my team crumbled to pieces. 

I should have continued to look.

She was a part of our family, and I let her down. She'll never forgive me, but she might forgive the others.

The potential rejection has my chest aching, and I imagine Mr. Coleman isn't doing so well right now either.

"The rest of the team is watching them, Mr. Coleman. She will not be taken from us again. I promise we will get her back." I tell him.

I'm assuring myself, just as much I am him. I don't know how to stop the inevitable, but I couldn't bear to lose her again. If she turns her back on us, after all this time, I don't think we'll survive it.

I'm not sure I can survive losing them again.   

Mr. Coleman's breathing is still labored, but he looks over at me like I am an idiot and I realize my blunder.