Ch. 19 Break Every Bone

~~~

Kay'ari's/Kayli's POV

Location: Lockheart Estate

Date: October

~~~

"Mr. Blackbourne's theory was right." Wil whispers as he follows me into the Lockheart community house, the other two clomping along at his side.

A soft husky voice that sounds feminine but a little masculine too, answers back, "She didn't even really look at us. Maybe she didn't see us? Or she's traumatized and people blind. I heard on the news that there are a few people like that."

"Are we going to talk about how those kids were calling her 'Mom'?" Another voice jumps in.

I gather that Wil is either shaking his head or nodding, but I don't hear anything else from the group.

I stop for a moment when a sound catches my attention. 

The soft click-clacking of Bardavon's nails on the stone floors coming up behind me, a soft growl when he passes by the small group following me. 

I look down at him, smiling as he sniffs the air like a blood hound and I follow when he trots off deeper into the castle.

Cyan had him trained to find her and myself under almost any circumstance. Even in a new place, with probably a few million different smells it seems he still has the capability of doing so.

We walk through the building and I'm so tempted to just walk around with my mouth wide open. 

The grandeur and immensity of the building is unreal, and unfortunately gives me a creeping feeling of resentment, not unlike when I was in any of the Mav Estates. 

The place reeks of old money, and it all seems so frivolous to me. The money that went into just keeping the lights on could feed the kids probably for a month. Maybe more.

Despite the distaste for the sheer amount of wasted cash, I try to enjoy looking at the huge stone staircases, the large intricate fireplaces we pass and the numerous fancy sitting rooms with enchanting views and even more enchanting antique furniture.

We also pass sets of battle-wear; some ancient suits of golden armor from Europe, to leather skins from prehistoric ages (meant to be worn to hunt in), and even a samurai's tosei dou gusoku. We even get to catch a peek at an Indian chieftain's ceremonial war bonnet. 

Each set is paired with its very own display of historically-accurate weaponry and a plaque explaining the historical significance and a note of the time it came from.

We eventually make our way to an archway with stained glass worked into the stone. A silver plaque on a stand dubs the room beyond as the Diana Library.

We walk through the archway and into a huge room and I stop to take it all in. 

The glass ceiling glows with the evening light, and my mouth drop at the 2 floors of floor-to-ceiling bookcases and amazing stained glass and dark mahogany structures in the form of desks, windows, tables and chairs with sparkly silver pillows thrown everywhere.

Loretta is perched on a metal chair with glass pebbles worked into the tall peacock backrest, her eyes darting here and there, as if she hadn't ever actually been here before.

Her eyes jump to us, and she starts a dialogue about the room. Cyan and Lorraine sit at a large desk, with a laptop centered between them but Cyan is the one with her fingers flying over the keyboard.