3- Something science-y, cool, and cold

A long chapter, yayy. I'm currently at a camp so I can't update that often. however, I drop them hints everywhere so stay tuned ;)

- Ida

Chapter 3- Something science-y, cool, and cold

Mochi jumped at me as soon as I stepped into our townhouse. The white and orange ball of fur meowed loudly at me as if to say, "Where's my dinner, human?". Come to think about it, it would probably let out some profanities too. You could say my cat is quite edgy. And aggressive. 

"Are you hungry?" Aunt Casey asked me. "I never say no to that question." I replied, hanging my half burnt jacket up high so Mochi couldn't rip it apart. It had special hatred for anything warm, soft, and belonged to me. It would never mess with aunt Casey's porcelain collection from Japan but he would try to create a nest out of my worksheets from school. 

Imagine me actually telling the truth to my teachers; "My cat used my homework to make a nest because it's cold in winter and cats do not like coldness." That could make the dog eating homework excuse sound painfully basic (and probably land me in a detention room later on too.)

Aunt Casey opened up the cupboard and took her time staring at our emergency canned food. Emergency in aunt Casey's context being any situations that required her to cook. 

I agreed with her wholeheartedly. Let my aunt into the kitchen and you will most likely have a real emergency to deal with a few seconds later. Mostly something related to fire and air pollution followed by a chronic food poisoning.  

"We have Cheerios and Froot Loops." She sighed, scanning the almost empty cupboard. "How about we have some late night breakfast, huh?" "It's never too late to have a bowl of cereal." I shrugged and went to fetch the milk gallon from the fridge. Mochi jumped off the couch and lifted one orange paw like the Maneki-Neko. It learned that people love it when it does that and it would get its a piece of whatever that person was eating.

"The science center just announced that they found a new wealthy investor. He wants to launch a new project and I'll be--" She took of her high heels and kicked them away. "The head of the project." 

"That sounds like less time for Mochi and painting." I said, picking the annoyed cat up, ignoring its soft paws drumming upon my forearms. It thrashed and let out a soft hiss, jumping away and bolted upstairs. "Mochi would love that." My aunt laughed. "He was such an adorable kitten. Now, he is an anti-social, paranoia, cynical cat." 

I poured some Froot Loops into a mug and grabbed a can of cat food. "Maybe adulthood in cats also sucks." I grinned. "Maybe Mochi wants to go meet new people, gossip, and finally--" I picked up a piece of gray sticky note stuck on her binder and read it aloud. "Call that particular cat up to confirm a dinner date at the Spring Avenue tomorrow." Aunt Casey's almost choked on her Cheerios. 

"It's that new investor I talked about." She stuttered. "Collin—Mr. Kavanagh-- and I need to talk—discuss on the new project he wanted to launch." I raised my brows and she threw her hands in the air in defeat. "He has the 5 o'clock shadow and Irish accent, Jamie." She sighed, taking off her glasses. "And he read my book."

"Which one? Mochi's Life?"

"Mistwood Resident series." She smiled wanly. "The whole series. He even remembered that guy who showed up for only a paragraph in book 2!"

"So he's well aware you have the basic knowledge of how to get away with a murder?" I joked. "Or to make lethal weapons out of household items?" Being the supportive niece I am, I had read every single book my aunt had written. And at one point, helped her edited the first draft.