6- Your math skill could have killed you

Chapter 6- Your math skill could have killed you

Mild sunlight shone upon me as soon as I exited the school, giving me the excessive warmth I didn't really need after the incident earlier. The ray reflected on the thin sheath of ice on top of the fences. It looked as if someone had sprinkled golden glitters all over the place.

Cryonics had really dropped by. I didn't hallucinate. I guessed our city would have to get used to occasional snow in summer (and some break ins here and there.)

Les picked up the ice crystal from the fence and held it against the red area on his palm. Judging by the way he inhaled sharply, it must have stung quite bad.

He seemed calmer after watching me  getting scolded by the school nurse for an hour because I didn't rush myself to the infirmary fast enough and could've died on her hands.

Meaning more paperwork to do.

I was beyond surprised to find out that Les was still waiting in front of the infirmary by the time the nurse finally let me out of the infirmary.

I tended to walk past him to avoid further conversations but he insisted on giving me a ride today.  According to him, I shouldn't be walking home since I could go into a full seizure and die on the way there resulting in him having to go to the court and spend hours recapping everything that happened earlier that day.

Aunt Casey had a date and I didn't want to ruin her night even though that meant I would have to wait for Les to finish his skate practice. (Watching him show off his perfect ice skating skills for 3 hours.)

I recognized Mr. Logan's car parked in front of an ice cream parlor. An old burgundy pickup that brought about the vintage hue. The familiar smell of pine leaves filled the inside of the car. "You sure you don't have to go to the hospital?" Les asked with a genuine concern.

"It's just a fever, Les." Yes, a fever that gave you temperature high enough to become  a walking bonfire.

Les was not gullible but he was smart enough to know when to end this kind of conversation. "Alright. If you feel sick again like earlier, tell me. We don't want burn mark in the car." He joked, patting me on the shoulder carefully. 

When I was about to climb up, I remembered something. "You're 16." I said, watching him tossed 3 empty McDonald's fries containers to the backseat. That didn't really look like an all star athlete's healthy diet at all.

"Wrong, Devlin. I'm 17. You can't remember my age? That kind of hurt."

"Have you passed the driving test yet?" I asked.

"Geez, hop in already. I'll be late if you keep stalling like this." He rolled his eyes, already starting up the engine.

I'd take that as a no. I climbed up tentatively. "If you crash once, you will be at least 8 months late for your skate practice, mister."

"Trust me you're a lot safer in here than in a cab with some--" He did an air quote gesture. "Random Stranger."

Ha.

Why I couldn't see that much difference?

"Buckle up in rare case we do crash like you have so positively stated." Les craned his neck to look behind for any obstacles, pulling out into the road.

I didn't want to further the arguments while his hands were still on the steering wheel thus my fate under his control. Only a hand, actually. He was holding his phone with another. "I don't know how to bust you out of jail." I muttered. "Get off your phone."