Epilogue

Pic of Flare up there.

Unedited. To be edited throughout the week. Let me know what you think ;)

- Ida

- - - -

Epilogue

Mild light reflects on the arch of bluish glass stone in front of me. The ray of blue light shines through it, painting long streaks of light on the grass sprinkled with morning's dew drops, glistening everywhere like thousands of tiny diamonds. I don't even try to suppress my tears because I know I wouldn't be able to.

Tears rolls down my nose bridge, dripping on the delicate white petal of rose I'm holding.

I kneel down to the ground and, with my trembling hands, place the rose on the base of the gravestone—,no, monument.

A monument that will always remind the Logans of their loss and remind us citizens of their departed hero.

Aftermaths of some fight may gets crueler than the fight itself.

My fingers brush against the slick surface of the glass stone as cold as the body lying 6 feet underneath it. The monument is only 24 inches in height and it is translucent with engraved design aiming to resemble ice surface. Intricate feathery pattern of frost and snowflakes.

Cold breeze fans at my hair and let some strands obscure my face from another visitors of the place.

The knees of my black leggings are now dampened with dew drops on the grass blade as it digs into the soil still wet from rain last night. Overly long sleeves of Les's skate team sweatshirt I still keep covers both my clenched fists, hiding the fact that they are trembling as much as my voice. My head hung low as I mumble string of words under my uneven breaths that are intelligible even to myself.

It's mainly to thank him for everything. For being in my life even though it's a short stay.

"Hey." I feel a present of a person behind me. The guy lets out a heartfelt sigh, sitting cross legged on the grassy ground next to me. His warm breath tickles down my neck as he speaks softly; "Everyone told me I'd find you here."

"Funny." I turn around to meet his stormy grey eyes, quickly wiping my tears with the back of my hands. "When I told them you're not at the hospital, they said that about you too."

"Graveyard is where everyone else predicted we would be at? " Les raises his brows. "That's quite a strange thing to say, isn't it?"

"Even more strange when I found out they're right." I say, an eyebrow raised. "Because you shouldn't even be on your feet at the moment, Les."

"I'm not, actually. I'm sitting." He pushes his stray blonde hair from of eyes, giving me a small smile. He really needs a haircut after spending about a month in the hospital. I myself was getting used to seeing him in hospital gown and not awake. So, when he visits me outside the hospital instead of me visiting him by bedside next to the hospital monitor, I'm both overjoyed and concerned.

"It's kind of...weird, isn't it?" He whispers gravely with his head hung low, his voice almost mistaken for the sound of the wind "One moment you are talking to a person and the next you are talking to yourself in front of their gravestone."

Someone told me that the grief and anguish we experience after losing someone are there partly because we don't get a chance to actually say what we want the departed one to know. So we can't let go.

"Granted the message reaches its destination." I say while observing the letters carved on the ice-like surface. "Your dad would be so proud of you. Like everyone is of him."